Take Time for Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

All to often you probably find yourself putting in more effort for others rather than yourself. Maybe you feel better about yourself knowing that you’re helping others, but nobody is helping you; and in reality, it’s your own fault. You can’t assume that others will help you just because you helped them. It sucks but that’s life so take time for yourself.

There is no need to do something that you don’t want to just to make someone else happy. Do something that makes you happy. At the end of the day, making other people happy won’t keep you happy. You’ll have temporary happiness from making others happy won’t keep you content. So, drag your friends to a café because you want to, rather than them dragging you to the library when you don’t want to. You need to be your #1 priority because at the end of the day, you’re the only constant in your life.

Your happiness may not be something you find important, but once you do, you’re going to feel so much better about yourself. If you make it your priority, realistically, no one else can make you as happy as you can. You know yourself best. Do things that make you happy. Maybe one day, when you are getting your favorite coffee at your favorite café because you’ve had a bad day and need some cheering up, you’ll run into someone who is at their favorite café getting their favorite coffee. If you do things that make you happy, you’ll meet people who are happy doing the same things.

As a senior, double majoring in Public Relations and Organizational Communications, Monica is eager to take on the roles of Campus Coordinator for Bloom U and Campus Trendsetter for HC. Whenever she isn't writing for HC, you can find her filming for the National Broadcast Society, volunteering for the Special Olympics Bocce Bash as Assistant Volunteer Coordinator, or supporting Pura Vida Bracelets as a Company Representative. Outside of her on-campus involvement, Monica enjoys photography, binge watching Netflix, eating Taco Bell, and making people laugh.