Sweets for Scholarships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Many students in the student body have been finding different ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day through their acts of kindness or generosity. Some students helped to have a balloon animal creator free for the students, come set up special Valentine’s Day related event to raise money for their clubs. However, the Junior Quota Club had a different plan. For the past three days the members of the club had been manning and selling a table of Valentines themed baked goods to raise money for a student scholarship fund. 

The two students manning the table on Wednesday were Kylie Goodling and Jim McDermott, two members of the club. “We are here today to send a student to fluency camp for a Bloomsburg Speech Clinic,” said Kylie Gooding, the current president of the club. More specifically, the funds from the bake sale will help send kids 13-17 to receive a reduced fee waiver or free admission to Bloomsburg University Speech Clinic’s Summer Fluency Camp. 

The club had been running the event since Monday and so far that have sold a relatively decent amount of treats. “Slow but steady” Jim commented. The snack choices included everything from chocolate covered s’mores, Rice Krispy treats, cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies, heart shaped cookies, chocolate covered marshmallows, and more. As well as being delicious treats, these were also all tied in to Valentine’s Day somehow whether it be the treat’s being a Valentine’s Day themed color, such as red or pink, or the shape of the treat being a heart or even just heart shaped sprinkles covering the snack. 

The Junior Quota club is just one of the many clubs and organizations that Bloomsburg has that allows students to volunteer and help out in the community. The Junior Quota club though is unique as it aims to service projects for children and women in need. 

“My friend and I co-founded the club and I took over as president after she graduated.” Said Goodling when explaining why and how she came to be in the club. “I like to be able to give back to the Bloomsburg community.” Mr. McDermott was not originally a founding member of the club, but was drawn to the service the club did. “I get to meet really friendly people, give back, and have a good time doing it. I hope to do it for a few semesters.” 

The idea for a Valentine’s Day related bake sale was not something new. “Because of Valentine’s Day last year we did it and it was pretty successful,” said Kylie. 

The bake sale ran untill about 3:30pm and was on its third day of running. However, it would still be running at least until tomorrow. And while the Valentine’s Day bake sale may be soon up, the club will be having another one around Easter time. When asked about the feelings toward the bake sale and similar events that will occur in the future, Kylie said “We hope to keep going for the next one.” 

My name is Jessica and I love reading,musicals, TV shows (especially Arrow), comics, watching movies and Netflix, and traveling. I am a Mass Communications major, with a concentration in Journalism, at Bloomsburg University and I plan to graduate in May 2018. I hope to go onto to work in book publishing or writing for some kind of media outlet as well as working in a major city such as New York or Philadelphia.
I am a 23 year old senior at Bloomsburg University. I am a Mass Communications major on the telecommunications track and with a concentration in Public Relations.