This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Here at Bloomsburg University, it’s no secret that Greek Life plays a big role when it comes to being social. Although it is not the only source for putting yourself out there to make new friends, it is a helpful one at that. Think you’re not “sorority girl” material? So did I until Spring Rush 2011. I told myself there was no way I was going to be labeled as a “sorority girl”, but that quickly changed when all of my friends signed up and thankfully convinced me to as well.

Whether you’re a freshman, a sophomore, or even a transfer student, going through rush is a great way to find out about all of the different organizations and what they have to offer as well as meet fellow classmates going through the process. Each semester, the university offers the chance for sophomores to rush in the fall and both freshman and sophomores to rush in the spring. Some of you may be asking why only sophomores are allowed to in the fall? With that being said, fall rush is like a sophomores second chance at taking the opportunity to participate in the recruitment process because they may have missed their chance that previous spring.

As rush week approaches you might be feeling a little nervous about going through the process. What will you wear? What if you don’t fit in? What if, what if, what if? Relax! I know the thought of meeting over 100 girls in a single week can be overwhelming but trust me, you’ll survive. 

When rush week begins, try and keep these tips in the back of your mind…

Keep calm and carry on. Remaining calm through the process will keep your nerves at bay. Meeting new people can be a nerve-racking thought but that’s part of a daily life cycle. Most of you have no idea what to expect going through this process and that’s okay. 95% of the time, the sororities are just as nervous as you! During the process you think you are going to obtain so much information in such a short amount of time from each sorority you may feel like your head is going to burst, but chances are you’ll probably forget about half the stuff within the same night. Well, at least I did. This process tends to be tiring so be sure to get your precious rest and don’t sweat the small stuff. 

Be yourself. That is the ultimate unspoken rule going through this process. Being yourself allows you to show who you really are. Worried other girls will think you’re weird? Not possible. Your quirkiness may be exactly what they are looking for! Going through this process showing your true colors and your own views will help you in gaining a worthwhile experience. 

Be open minded. Being open minded can be your best bet throughout this process. Setting your heart on one specific place is a big no-no. Doing so can go in either good or bad directions. Let’s face it, you don’t want to set your heart on a certain organization just to find out you didn’t make the cut. It’s like being picked last in kickball all over again. Having an open mind allows you to explore new options and open your eyes to new experiences that you weren’t expecting to come across starting this entire process.

Have Fun! This is the most simple yet underrated statement that would come to mind during this week. In my opinion, it’s not said enough. Rush week isn’t meant to scare you or make you more anxious than making sure you’re not late for your 8 a.m. class every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday class every week. It’s also not an excuse to slack on your school work either! Time management is something you will learn to come hand in hand with during your college experience. 

All in all, the rush process seems to be a lot to tend to but trust me, it’s not. It’s a worthwhile experience you’ll be glad you went through. And the best part, it’s not something you have to commit to.  If you feel halfway through the experience that this just simply isn’t for you, you do not have to feel obligated to finish the process! It’s a win-win for everyone to be honest!

If you’re interested in rushing a sorority this semester, we have everything you need to know on HC Bloom, including your entire Rush Week calendar! 

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.