My Top 10 Tips & Tricks for Any Science Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Science is an amazing subject. There’s always new discoveries being made and new concepts to be learned, it’s quite incredible really. I know most probably disagree with me, but all my fellow science nerds out there know what I’m talking about. I’m a biology pre-medical science major with a minor in chemistry and sociology, so I know all the struggles of being a science major. To be honest, I doubt they’ll ever go away even after you graduate, considering it’s an ever growing field, but fear not! I am here to share all my tips and tricks I’ve learned thus far in my time at college.

1. Go to office hours!!!! Seriously, professors are almost always willing to help you. Go the extra mile–they really appreciate it and you’ll probably learn the material better one-on-one and have the upper hand on an exam compared to your classmates. If office hours aren’t an option or they don’t line up with your schedule, you can email your professor and make an appointment. If, for some reason, you absolutely can’t meet with your professor, you can always request a free tutor from the university.

2. Don’t wait ’til the last minute to study. You’ll 100% regret it. I know it sounds hard, and trust me, it takes time to get used to, but you will thank me for it later. My first semester was rough because I pretty much breezed by in high school, and never learned how to study properly. I found that most other people in my classes had the same experience, so you have other people to struggle with. Try out different techniques by asking upperclassman how they study or looking up studying techniques. Everyone studies differently so find what works for you, and don’t be afraid to ask people from your class if they want to study with you (I highly suggest it). Also, remember to take breaks while studying. I find that if I sit too long, my brain will start hurting. Studying is essential to being a science major (I mean any major really, but especially science) and the quicker you learn it the better you’ll be in the future.

3. You will question your entire existence, I do almost everyday. I seriously considered changing my major after the first month of my freshman year. It’s a huge adjustment from high school and it takes a while to get used to it; it did for me at least. I swear, I ask myself on a daily basis why do you have to like science, just ask my friends they will tell you the truth. I have yet to find a way to overcome questioning my existence, but I like to remember that it will all be worth it one day and take some deep breaths. That usually helps for a while, but if anyone knows of a way to stop questioning their existence, please let me know.

4. Have fun and relax every once in a while. Going out is not really my thing, especially since I’m not 21 yet. It’s not worth getting caught and compromising my chances of getting into medical school, but if it is your thing, go for it! Just be careful and trust the people you’re going with. There are plenty of ways to have fun and let loose. I personally like to hang out with my friends, or just lay in bed and have a good Netflix binge. I find it very stress relieving, even though I usually have 1,000 things on my mind. It’s so important to take a breather and rest, but don’t get too crazy.

5. Do the homework. Trust me on this, especially for chemistry. The homework problems that get assigned from the textbook are incredibly helpful and professors usually base questions on exams off your homework. I like doing mine alone, but working with a group isn’t a bad idea either. I find other people usually struggle with the same material I am. Again, if you don’t understand something, go see you’re professor–they will help you. Something else you might like to know, you’ll learn how to write a paper in one night if you haven’t already in high school. I had a term paper due a week ago and I think I started three days before the first draft was due and did just fine on it.

6. The workload will be unbearable sometimes. I’m not joking when I say this: I had 5 exams in one week this semester, and I almost died. Okay well not literally, but you get what I mean. I highly suggest getting a monthly calendar for your desk, like a huge one, and making a semester calendar. It’s really helped me because now I can look at a whole month and see how much I’ll want to die. I’m only half joking. I know it sounds scary, but once you get the hang of it, it’s really not that bad.

7. Don’t be afraid to cry. Like I said earlier, college is a huge adjustment for most people. I really struggled the first month or so, until I found friends I could trust and hang out with all the time. My best friend goes to college on the other side of the state, and we spent so much time together in high school that I seriously think we both suffered from separation anxiety. I was one of three people from my high school that came to Bloom, so I pretty much had to start over. It’s hard learning how to live on your own without your family and learning how to adult (I still don’t). Not to mention you have to share a tiny space with someone you barely know, unless you request your roommate. Like I said earlier, college is a huge adjustment for people, and it’s not something you’ll get the hang of straight away, so don’t be afraid to struggle. Most other freshman around you are struggling the same way, you just have to find those people that make school feel like home.

8. The library will become your best friend. I love the library. I think it’s so helpful in getting me motivated to do my work. I see all these other people working hard and I’m like, “I need to work that hard!” I like working in silence so I prefer the third and fourth floor, but it’s really personal preference. The library also has study rooms, so you can get a group of people together and go to a room. They have white boards and projector screens to help you study. The white boards are extremely helpful to work out long chemistry problems. Befriend the library!

9. ASK QUESTIONS! Most people in class have the same questions as you, but are just afraid to ask them. Similar to office hours, most professors like when the class engages. Plus, you’re probably helping some of your other confused classmates. Like number one, office hours are always great, especially for homework or test-prep questions, but for right now questions ask in class. You’ll find most professors will answer your question straight way, or they’ll say, “Stop by my office,” and they’ll talk about it with you. Always remember, there are no stupid questions!

10. Lastly, and most importantly do NOT be afraid to fail. I cannot stress this one enough. You can’t expect to get better at something if you don’t fail at least once or twice. If you bomb the first exam, it’s okay! I promise. You have the rest of the semester to make up for it and you’ll learn quite quickly what you should be focused on studying for future exams. If you’re really struggling, go talk to your professor. They’ll be straight up with you and tell you whether you can still pass with the grade you need or whether you should consider withdrawing. I know withdrawing and the big W on your transcript sounds horrifying, but if it will save you and/or your GPA it might be your best option. It’s really a personal choice and it’s a pretty big decision, but it’s something that only you can decide. I know failing sounds terrifying, but sometimes you have to fail in order to learn how to get better–I mean, doesn’t everyone tell you to learn from your mistakes? I promise you’ll get through it, everyone goes through rough patches in college.

Now, as much as I complain about being a science major, I really do love it. I feel so at home whenever I’m in Hartline (aka the science building). I’m surrounded by all my fellow science nerds, while talking about our nerdy science stuff. It’s almost like we have our own language, I love it. Finding people who love science as much as you do is amazing and it will make your experience that much better. People in your major will become some of your best friends. You’ll struggle together, and you can complain about it without annoying each other because you all know what you’re talking about. I genuinely don’t mean to scare anyone out of being a science major, but it is hard work. A majority of the responsibility is on YOU. You have to be the one to initiate needing help if/when you need it, you have to be the one working harder and sacrificing things just to pass a class. Some of your friends won’t understand your drive and will to work hard and do well, but you’ll know; and when you get the grade you know you deserved it’s an amazing feeling. Always remember, you’ll be in a career you know you’ll love and enjoy for the rest of your life, which some people can’t say. Now, I know all of this probably sounds terrifying, but it is so unbelievably worth it in the end; and as long as you are committed, you can do anything. I believe in you and all the science nerds out there!