Mind Your Mindfulness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Try this. Sit up straight and close your eyes. Now take a deep breath. Fill your lungs with all the air they can hold. When you’re ready, slowly release your breath feeling all the bad energy leave your body. Do it again, but this time, picture yourself on a sandy beach in front of a sunrise or sunset; whatever makes you feel happier. Each inhale you take, imagine the waves pulling back into the ocean. Each exhale, imagine the waves crashing against the sand. Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.

What you just practiced was mindfulness. You were being mindful of your breath and how it made you feel. Whether you notice it or not, this same concept applies to everything in your life. Everything that you see, hear, and do has some effect on you and your overall well-being. Learning how to be in tune with your mind and body is so helpful on how to stay positive and increase your productivity.

Wherever you’re at right now, look at what’s around you. What do you see? More importantly, how do these things make you feel? Really pay attention. Surround yourself with things that are visually appealing to you. Sometimes you can’t help where you’re at and what’s around you. That’s okay, but if you’re somewhere like a personal space that you spend a lot of time, consider what it is that’s around you that provides some sort of energy. By energy, I mean anything is making you feel some type of way, i.e. happy, sad, inspired, disorganized, motivated, chaotic, cheerful, etc. If this space is making you feel a negative emotion, figure out why that is and try to fix it. It can be something as simple as a messy desk. If this is the case, the solution may be as easy as cleaning it off and putting items away where they belong. Also, be cautious of any technology and how long you spend on it. Social media can be a great way to stay connected with friends and family, but it doesn’t come without a cost. There is psychological research that shows that websites and apps such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram can have a negative effect on your mood. Reading about all the awesome things that friends post about can cause emotions such as jealousy and sadness within us. Try setting a limit for how much time per day you spend on your phone and laptop. When you surround yourself with objects that make you feel good, it’s easier to keep a clear and focused mind on the task at hand instead of being distracted with the other things around you.

It’s no surprise that music plays a huge role in how you feel. It’s the same idea when it comes to your energy levels. It doesn’t have to be just music though. It can be anything that you hear. Studies show that people who work around annoying noises such as chaotic construction and the hustling sounds of the city are less productive. Find out what sounds help you to focus because it will be different for everyone. Some examples of background noise that may be beneficial are the sound of a spinning fan, a subtle gray rainstorm, a gentle breeze, the tranquil ocean, or even a tumbling dryer. The list goes on. Be cautious not to overdo it though. Too much noise, even soothing noise, can become overwhelming. Find out what sounds are most relaxing to you for the next time you need to study for an upcoming exam.

Body language affects how we view ourselves and your posture is no exception. Sitting up can make you feel more confident about yourself. Similarly, facial expressions have an impact on how you feel too. The next time that you’re feeling a little down, try holding a smile for one minute. Most likely, you won’t be able to get to through that whole minute without laughing to yourself and, as a bonus, it should even improve your mood. Pay attention to who you’re around as well. If you’re constantly around others who just like to gossip and spread rumors, you’re bound to end up joining in. It’s okay to need to vent about someone or something that’s happened recently, but including more people in the drama than necessary won’t help you feel any better and it certainly won’t make the person who you’re talking about feel good about themself either. On the other hand, surrounding yourself with others who help you to feel good about yourself and have a good attitude will help you to stay more optimistic. Keep practicing positivity, even when it feels fake. Slowly, over time, it will become more natural.

It’s much easier to be more productive and have a good attitude towards life when you feel good about yourself. Being mindful of the things that are around you, what you’re listening to, and what you say and do are important to becoming your best self. It’s easy to become discouraged when you’re having difficulty practicing positivity. That’s the whole point of it. Practice it until you become it. You never know who you’ll inspire.

If I were an inanimate object, I'd be a HB pencil because I leave my mark wherever I go.