Just Do It.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Thank you, Nike.  “Just do it.”  I will.  I’ve come to realize in my past two semesters of college that if I want something to happen, I just have to take the initiative.  With group projects, running Her Campus BloomU, serving food at work, even just making plans with friends.  If I have an idea, I need to make it happen.  And so should you. 

Too many of us are just passively going through college.  You go to class, maybe join a club or two, possibly have a job, and you hang out with your friends.  You do your work, participate in a couple activities, and go out every weekend.  I went up until my senior year, doing all of that.  It wasn’t until this year that I realized, as long as I know what I want, it’s only up to me to get it done.

In a group project, I have no problem doing all the work, but I’ve always been that way.  What bothers me is when no one shows initiative to even plan to meet up.  I’ve realized that I just have to get to the point and say something direct.  “We need to finish this project.  Let’s meet up in the lib sometime Thursday.”  Anything like that usually works.  If you want something to happen, you have to put in the thought and effort.

Same thing with HC Bloom.  We can say we want to have events and do things all we want, but someone’s got to show initiative. 

At work, most of my job is actually just waiting on other people.  I guess that’s why I’m called a WAITress.  I wait on the kitchen for food, the bar for drinks, and my customers to make up their minds.  In all this, how can I get things done on my own?  I ask for things, offer to do more for others.  If I can make everyone else’s jobs easier, my job will get easier too.

The only thing I might regret from college is not realizing all this sooner.  If I want something to happen, I need to do it.  So, thank you, Nike.  After seeing your ads for so long, I finally get it.  I will “just do it.”  Whatever “it” may be.

A senior at Bloomsburg University and HC Campus Correspondent.  I can usually be found with a coffee in hand, either walking my dog or at the gym. Life motto: Nobody likes a shady beach.