bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Avoid the Freshman (Or Any Year) 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Everyone has heard of the legendary and terrifying freshman fifteen but how true can it really be? The truth is that it’s very easy to pack on those first-time-away-from-home pounds and before you know it your jeans are getting a little too snug for comfort. On the bright side, there are ways for you to avoid packing on those pounds….

Go to the gym.This sounds simple but many people really do not use the gym services provided on campus. Whether you live on lower campus, upper campus, or even off campus, there are gyms made available to you that are open almost all day (usually somewhere between 6 a.m. to midnight). Even if you’re new to using gyms or the equipment, it’s definitely something to look in to. The people working there are a great help if you have any questions as are many of the people that are there to workout themselves. Once you get into the habit of going a few days a week it gets easier. Trust me, don’t be self-conscious working out. Everyone is there for the same reason and it’s not to judge.

Don’t keep too much food in your room.If you live on campus, it’s very easy to stash a box of cookies under your bed for a midnight snack or study break. It seems harmless but the faster you kick the habit the better. Keeping food in your room in a necessity, but keeping junk food is not. If you have a little fridge, try keeping fruits and veggies on hand for when you get hungry for a snack and don’t keep soda within easy reach – it’s hard enough to try to say “no” to it at any of the restaurants on campus. 

Late night is not always a good idea.We all have been there. It’s 10:30 p.m. and you and your friends are bored so why not go to late night pizza at the Husky… for the third time this week. Buffalo chicken pizza with a soda sounds fabulous almost all the time but like all good things in life, it is better in moderation- so try cutting back gradually. I am by no means saying to cut it out completely because, I mean, that pizza is the best but moderation is key!

Take the stairs.Unless you’re carrying in fifteen grocery bags and cannot physically make it up the stairs, always try to take the stairs. It seems like the littlest thing, but taking a few flights up to your room can be a great little midday exercise. It’s a great way to get leg exercises in even on days when you don’t feel up to going to the gym.

Don’t give up!Running sucks, pizza is great, and we all love Oreo’s but the key to getting anything you want is to never give up. Even if you have an off day, off week, off month, or even an off semester, it is never too late to get back on track. If you could put on the weight, you could lose it. Set goals for yourself in a calendar or weekly tracker. Weight goals are not always the best because even if you’re happy with the way you look and feel your head may twist around your perspective if you don’t see the number on the scale you wanted. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat so those numbers may not reflect your actual size. 

Hi, guys! I'm JB and I am Campus Correspondent for Her Campus BloomU!
Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.