Fall Fashion Items Every Bloom Collegiette™ Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Whether by choice or necessity, we did not go to a school down South. Our summers may be hot and humid, but our autumns are crisp, chilly and damp. Here’s some of the essential fashion items that all Bloom collegiettes™ need to survive Fall semester in style.

Rain boots, rain jacket & umbrellaIf you’re an upperclassmen, you know how essential your rain gear is. If you’re a freshman, you’ll learn quickly. If it looks cloudy, wear your rain jacket. Invest in a fold-up umbrella that you can leave in your backpack all the time. Find cute but neutral rain boots that will go with virtually any outfit because, let’s face it, you’ll need them.

VestPuffy vests may be so 2004 but there’s no denying that quilted vests can be the perfect outerwear for those in-between weather days. Some days, it’s not quite cold enough to layer up in a jacket but you’d still like a little extra warmth for that walk to class. Vests may just be your September savior.

Your comfiest and coziest sweaterIs there really anything better than a comfy sweater? Actually there is – a cute and cozy sweater that functions like a sweatshirt but looks high fashion. In summer, when we’re feeling lazy, we throw on Nike shorts and t-shirt. The autumnal equivalent of this go-to outfit is leggings and a sweater but we look so much cuter and we don’t have to worry about tanlines.

Riding bootsIt seems cliché but nothing pulls an outfit together like a classic riding boot. They can even make leggings and your oversized sweaters look chic and like it took you longer than 7 minutes to get ready in the morning.

Mini cross body bagWhile the cross body bag isn’t just a fall essential, there’s no better bag to carry your ID, keys and lip gloss when you’re roaming around Iron Street looking for your friends. 

BlazerYou probably won’t want to wear a blazer to Hardware on a Thursday but it will dress up your outfit for your class presentation or internship meeting. Roll up the sleeves to make the look more casual but take comfort in the added warmth to your look and the instant style and class it adds.

Flannel shirtsYou can button it all the way up or you can throw it on over a graphic tee and your outfit automatically looks cooler and feels warmer. One of the quintessential fall fashion items, flannel is a Bloom girl essential.

Skinny jeansWith our days of high-waisted shorts coming to a close, we’re going to need our skinniest of jeans or jeggings to wear out on Main Street on fall nights. You can even find them in high-waisted styles in case you’re still unwilling to let go of those summer nights.

Wedge bootiesThese will serve as a replacement of your strappy wedge sandals that you rocked all summer. Beauty is pain? Not to wedge booties. They’re more stable than regular heels and a little bit warmer. You can thank us later.

ScarvesThis accessory is a no-brainer. Functionally, scarves keep your neck and face warm during the brisk walk to campus or around town. Fashionably, they make any outfit more exciting and colorful – depending on your scarf choice, of course! Flannel, cable knit, patterned, enjoy them all!

Your favorite Bloom sweatshirtWhen all else fails, the Bloomsburg sweatshirt will always be there.

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.