Fall Into Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

September. Yep, it’s become that time of year again. It’s the time when the mountains are brushed with red and gold, the crisp air starts to nip at your nose, and you trade in the lemonade for that hot apple cider just to warm up your hands. There’s no denying it: Autumn is here. Don’t stress over the change, instead, embrace it. Maybe even change yourself if it’s for the better. Here are some tips on how to do just that.

It’s easiest to follow the crowd and stay up-to-date with the latest trends, but have you ever taken the time to really consider how you feel about it all? What do you enjoy? It may surprise you and it may not be what everyone else likes. Do you like the sound of rain pinging off the top of an umbrella? If so, grab your favorite umbrella and go for a walk with yourself the next time it rains. Consider what motivates you. Is it getting your body up and moving first thing in the morning? Maybe it’s drinking some soothing tea before bed. The possibilities are endless. This last question may be the most difficult, but if you take the time to ponder it, the results can be well worth it: what are you hesitating to admit to yourself? Possibly, you’re having a hard time letting go of something or someone. If this is true for you, take the time to question why that is. If this item or person is adding no value to your life, it may be more beneficial to put your efforts towards something new. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there.

Autumn can be spectacular, especially when it means getting to have pumpkin everything is right around the corner. Be good to yourself, though. You may think that it’s no use to try eating healthier before the holidays, but there’s no better time than now. If this is something that you struggle with, strive to set a weekly goal for yourself and each new week add another. For example, the first week your goal can be as simple as drinking a certain amount of water each day (within reason), the next week it can be drinking that water and eating a small fruit instead of grabbing for those goldfish, week three might look something like drinking that water, eating fruit and going for a mile walk every day. The list goes on. Listen to your body and what it needs.

If you’re someone that can’t stand cold weather, just the mere thought of Fall can be depressing, but it doesn’t have to be. Aim to change your attitude. As difficult as this may sound, it may not be a bad thing to try. Take ten minutes before you go to sleep, sitting or lying down, to review your day and appreciate the good things that have happened. If you had an awful day, pick just one thing that you are thankful for and focus on that. Think about how you can make tomorrow better; how you can make yourself better. What did you do that day that you really liked or that really helped you get through the day? What’s one new thing that you can try doing tomorrow? Learn to appreciate today before it’s already tomorrow.

The change that Fall brings doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Welcome it with open arms and an open heart. You never know what it will bring. It’s true that it may come with some bad news, but if you know who you are and what you stand for, and be the best you that you can be, you’ll conquer the world.

If I were an inanimate object, I'd be a HB pencil because I leave my mark wherever I go.