College Student Struggles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

As college students there are many struggles that we can all relate to and we all feel like they start to drain us at some point in the semester. Some of the struggles that we may face are time management, self-care (remembering to eat, exercising, and getting enough sleep), inability to afford textbooks, and maintaining good grades. These struggles are bound to hit all of us at some point during our college careers, but don’t let them get you down for too long. There are some ways that you can overcome these struggles before they consume you. 

Time management is crucial in college because if you manage it correctly you’ll be fine, but if you don’t, you can find yourself falling behind in all your studies. When you find yourself struggling with time management and you feel like there isn’t enough time in the day, just take a minute to breathe. Next, after you breathe, try using reminders on your phone, a daily planner, or a dry erase whiteboard in your living space in order to keep track of your assignments. 

Now self-care is very important and I can’t stress that enough that you HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!! Sometimes we’re so busy with assignments, working, and having a social life that we forget to eat during our busy days. A great way to avoid the growling stomach in a quiet classroom during the day is to pack a lunch or a snack and place it in your book bag. Exercising is an activity that we all want to partake in, but sometimes we lack the needed motivation that it takes to get us to the gym. Go to the gym because you genuinely want to go in order to become a healthier you and not because social media is pressuring you to look a certain way. Try starting out at the gym maybe 2-3 days out of the week just to get yourself comfortable with it until you get to a point where you’re comfortable with going on a regular basis. 

Now it’s time for the heavy hitter and that is getting enough sleep, which in college NEVER HAPPENS!! Getting 8 hours of sleep in college is as unrealistic as getting a job in your field after you graduate. (Just take a minute to laugh. Trust me you’ll get the job when you graduate!) Getting enough sleep goes hand-in-hand with time management so as long as you manage your time correctly you should be able to get enough sleep, hopefully. 

When it comes to being able to afford your textbooks don’t panic!! Go to your school’s financial aid office or your advisor and see if you can get a book loan as early as possible to prevent falling behind in your studies. 

Last but not least maintaining good grades is a MAJOR KEY. Time management plays a big part in maintaining good grades and so does knowing when to ask for help. Utilize your professor’s hours, tutorial services on campus, and the buddy system within your classes if you need help with your work. Hopefully these tips will help and allow you to have a great semester!! 

I am a 23 year old senior at Bloomsburg University. I am a Mass Communications major on the telecommunications track and with a concentration in Public Relations.