Campus Profile: John Carpenter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Name: John M. Carpenter

Age: 19, Sophomore

Major: Pre-Med Biology

Organizations: Alpha Sigma Phi, Beats by Bloom

Hometown: Cedar Grove, NJ

Get to Know John:

What do you want to do after college?

“Before heading to vet school, I hope I can take a year of to explore the Europe. I haven’t traveled much in my life so I want to while I am still young. As for vet school I definitely want to go to one in the Caribbean, preferably St. George on the Grand Cayman Islands. I don’t know how much longer I can stand the Bloomsburg weather.

What is your position in Alpha Sigma Phi and why did you decide to join?

“I am a Founding Father, along with the Social Director for the fraternity. I joined Alpha Sigma Phi because it gave me the opportunity to meet some amazing new guys that I probably would have never talked to. Also I wanted to be apart of something that was bigger than myself, I want to be more then just your average “frat guy.” I want to leave my mark on Bloomsburg so I have something to look back at and say that I was not only a part of it but that I started it. It has been an opportunity of a life time that I could not be more grateful for.”

As a Founding Father of Alpha Sigma Phi, what are your hopes for the fraternity and yourself through the fraternity?

“I hope that as an organization Alpha Sigma Phi becomes the top fraternity on campus in that it provides the most community service, with the highest GPAs, most members, and other important factors like that. As for myself, I hope Alpha Sigma Phi gives me the opportunity to make college the best years of my life, having something to look back at and be proud of. Also that my brothers will be friends that I have forever, it has already introduced me to some of the greatest people I have ever met.”

What is your role in Beats by Bloom and tell me more about the club?

“I am a co-founder and Vice President of Beats by Bloom. I decided to start the club last semester but had no idea that it would become a reality so fast. It is the first open to all a capella group on Bloomsburg University’s campus. We already have 13 singing members and even more non-singing members who help out with things like publicity, videography, picture, and etc. I didn’t expect this big of an outcome with the club just starting this semester but I could not be happier to see such amazing results.”

If you could describe yourself in one word what would it be and why?

“I think I would pick resilient. Life drags you back and you have to fight bac. Every day I fight back at all that life throws at me. And I never stop fighting until I finally get to where I want to be.”

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

“I hope by then to be done with vet school and be interning or have a job as vet. Of course it would be nice to be married but that’s probably not going to happen.”

As a future vet, what is your favorite animal?

“Right now, I have to say my favorite animal is a panda. They’re super funny and clumsy.”

If you are interested in joining Beats by Bloom like them on Facebook!

As a senior, double majoring in Public Relations and Organizational Communications, Monica is eager to take on the roles of Campus Coordinator for Bloom U and Campus Trendsetter for HC. Whenever she isn't writing for HC, you can find her filming for the National Broadcast Society, volunteering for the Special Olympics Bocce Bash as Assistant Volunteer Coordinator, or supporting Pura Vida Bracelets as a Company Representative. Outside of her on-campus involvement, Monica enjoys photography, binge watching Netflix, eating Taco Bell, and making people laugh. 
I am a 23 year old senior at Bloomsburg University. I am a Mass Communications major on the telecommunications track and with a concentration in Public Relations.