Book Review: Billy Taylor’s “Just Friends”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

In 2016, Billy Taylor, a British writer released “Just Friends,” that tells the story of August Bishop and Ethan Knight. These two have been best friends since Ethan’s seventh birthday party. The book takes place through their time at “university,” where Ethan was an outstanding magician, and August was a talented actress. Their lives were simple until the day they got into an unexpected car accident, changing their lives forever, maybe they won’t be just friends after all.

While I don’t want to say anything else, because I don’t want to ruin the book because it is SO FRICKIN GOOD. I can’t count the number of times I cried reading this book on my fingers and toes because I was always crying… not in a bad way though. It was intense at times that made me feel as though I was August and also times that I envied the relationship she and Ethan shared. It is an outstanding book that is perfect for college students who aren’t really into reading, but want to have a book to read. I’ve read a lot of books, and I’m really picky about them, how they are written, their storyline, and character traits; and yet I truly have only one “critique” of this book as an American I guess, I just don’t like that it has British spelling like “favourite” and “colour” like ew, no thank you. But other than that, 14/10 book, highly recommend.

Oh, and the author is cute… I mean LOOK AT HIM.

As a senior, double majoring in Public Relations and Organizational Communications, Monica is eager to take on the roles of Campus Coordinator for Bloom U and Campus Trendsetter for HC. Whenever she isn't writing for HC, you can find her filming for the National Broadcast Society, volunteering for the Special Olympics Bocce Bash as Assistant Volunteer Coordinator, or supporting Pura Vida Bracelets as a Company Representative. Outside of her on-campus involvement, Monica enjoys photography, binge watching Netflix, eating Taco Bell, and making people laugh.