5 Great Things About Christmas Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.
  • Christmas Trees and Christmas Lights

There is nothing more exciting then hoping into your car with your family to go pick out the most perfect Christmas tree. It just means so much more when you get to pick the tree out with your family and bring it home to decorate with the ones you love most. Christmas trees bring so much joy during the holiday season and may be the greatest tradition of Christmas. The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree is a world-wide symbol of the holidays in New York City and there are also many other tree lighting ceremonies in cities such as Philadelphia.

It’s always an indication that it’s the holiday season when you can’t drive through more than a block in your neighborhood without seeing brightly lit lights lining a house along with blow up decorations adorning their lawn. It’s always fun to drive around with family or friends during the evening and search for decorated houses. You can even make a game of it by trying to find the most elaborate display in your neighborhood. 

• Christmas Movies

Christmas movies may be the best part of the holiday season. While flipping through TV channels during the time it’s pretty much a guarantee you’ll come across a holiday-themed movie. The great thing about Christmas movies is that there’s so many to choose from so it makes it easier to find something you’ll want to watch either alone or with family and friends.  Some of our personal favorites are old Christmas specials such as “Frosty the Snowman,” “A Year Without a Santa Clause,” and “A Christmas Story.” If you are ever in the mood to watch a Christmas movie but are not sure what to put on, check out ABC family’s 25 Days of Christmas special! They have a Christmas movie or show on every night to get you into the holiday spirit or Hallmark Channel is also one of them, they always play romantic holiday movies if that sparks your interest.

• Christmas Cookies

So we all know here at Bloomsburg the Scranton Common’s cookies are pretty good, yet nothing compares to homemade holiday cookies. Nothing else truly puts me into the Christmas mood more than having the smell of freshly made cookies going throughout my house. There are always so many different kinds, ranging from traditional gingerbread cookies all the way to peppermint. Some of our personal favorites are chocolate chip, sugar, and Italian wedding cookies. It’s always so nice to spend time together preparing the cookies for our family, as well as eating the dough as we go along. Even if you don’t have the time to make cookies from scratch you can always go for the easier option and find pull apart cookies in your grocery stores’ freezer aisle and they’re still just as nice. Everyone knows the Christmas cookies don’t contain calories, so bake up as many batches as you’d like and indulge! 

• Christmas Music

Nothing gets me more excited for Christmas time then when the shuttle drivers here at Bloomsburg begin playing Christmas songs on their radios as they bring you to and from your classes.  Christmas songs bring so much joy and happiness. Two personal favorite Christmas artist are Mariah Carey and Michael Buble. The great thing about Christmas music is it has the ability to instantly put you in the holiday spirit. It’s always so nice to do holiday activities, like any on this list, while also listening to Christmas music. It just adds so much more to the festivities. I personally like going on Pandora and searching for holiday channels because they always offer a nice mix of classics and more modern Christmas hits.

• Wrapping Presents

After you get all your Christmas shopping done it’s always nice to turn on a Christmas movie or some music and wrap the gifts you got. Its so fun to pick out the cutest wrapping paper and bows to give your gifts that little extra personal touch. If you’re feeling like the usual wrapping paper isn’t festive enough you can look on Pinterest to find different ways to jazz the wrapping up a bit, and for those of you who aren’t the best wrappers, cute Christmas gift bags are always available!  

My names Jess and I'm a health science major at Bloomsburg University! 
I'm a senior psych major at Bloomsburg University
I am a 23 year old senior at Bloomsburg University. I am a Mass Communications major on the telecommunications track and with a concentration in Public Relations.