21 Things I’ve Learned Since Turning 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Since turning twenty-one in May, the past nine months have been a wild ride.  Of course there are things I wish I could change, but in the end everything happens for a reason.  Everything in life is either a blessing, or a lesson.  Here are 21 of the lessons I’ve learned since turning 21:

1. If someone cares, you’ll know.  If someone doesn’t show you they care, or they are confusing about showing you, don’t waste your time.  Know your worth.
  2. If you care about someone, you should let them know.  Make time for those who make time for you.  Life is too short to be wondering, “what could’ve happened if I had just done a little more,” especially when it comes to relationships and friendships.
  3. Do what you need to do for you. Whether that’s laying in bed for 24 hours, staying in on a Saturday night, or just going balls to the wall when you go out, do whatever makes you feel good.
  4. There’s absolutely no shame in staying in on a night when everybody seems to be going out.  Health nights are necessary once in a while.  No matter how bad your friends want you to go out, if you’re not feeling it, don’t go.  Not wanting to go out, but doing so anyways will only result in a bad time.
  5. Just go to class.  Go.  When you’re spending $10,000+ per semester, one hour won’t kill you.  Also, if your professors know your face and you go to almost every class, they’ll be more inclined to help your grade at the end of the semester.
  6. Damaging an Uber costs $200.  No explanation needed.  Just take my word for it, and try not to damage an Uber.
  7. Drink water and go to the gym.  Water will fill you up if you’re eating because you’re bored, and there’s absolutely nothing that a good workout can’t fix.  Endorphins are your friends.
  8. Candles are great.  They make your apartment smell good.  They are nice gifts for people.  Always have candles.
  9. Stay in touch with people.  Those relationships that just sort of end without reason are always the most heartbreaking.
  10. Wake up each day with a fresh start and a smile.  Starting your day in a bad mood will most likely make the whole day bad, no matter what happens.
  11. Don’t overthink or expect anything from boys.  When in doubt, just go back to the old saying, “boys suck.”
  12. Everything that is meant to happen will happen.  Give it time.  If things don’t turn out how you want them to, don’t stress it; it just wasn’t meant to be.
  13. When in doubt take a nap.  
  14. Get lots of blankets and pillows for your bed.  Make that thing comfy AF. 
  15. Learn to cook a couple decent, reliable, and easy meals.  While its not very common to entertain while you’re in college, you never know when you might be cooking dinner for someone else.  Easy Mac and frozen chicken nuggets might work for you, but it’s just as easy to impress someone with spaghetti and chicken parm.
  16. Learn to budget. You probably don’t need that new dress or those shoes for your date party, but you do need groceries. 
  17. Learn easy ways to eat healthy.  Check out Pinterest for shopping lists; and when buying groceries, shop on the perimeter of the store, and spend the most time in the produce section. 
  18. You can never wrong with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a grilled cheese.  Quick, easy, not too unhealthy, and there’s a hint of nostalgia to elementary school lunches.
  19. Don’t take your family for granted.  While away at school, it may be “out of sight, out of mind,” but you never know what could happen. 
  20. Learn your limits, and go home when you need to.  Drink responsibly.  ‘Nough said.  Cheers.
  21. Bar specials end at 12 am and not a second later.  But if you make friends with a bartender, you may get some leeway.

A senior at Bloomsburg University and HC Campus Correspondent.  I can usually be found with a coffee in hand, either walking my dog or at the gym. Life motto: Nobody likes a shady beach.
I am a 23 year old senior at Bloomsburg University. I am a Mass Communications major on the telecommunications track and with a concentration in Public Relations.