Guy Tips: 10 Date Ideas In Birmingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Birmingham chapter.

So, you have a first date to organise, your girlfriend’s birthday fast approaching or an anniversary coming up. Panic is probably what is running through most boys’ minds. Where am I going to take her? Is it going to be good enough? Will she disappear to the toilet never to be seen again? Will our two year relationship be over in an instant?

Well boys, don’t worry, because we have done the work for you. We have put together ten date options on the comfort of our own doorsteps here in Birmingham. Now just sit back, relax, and let us do the planning for you! Whatever your occasion there will be something that suits all.

1. Picnic in Cannon Hill Park and Nature Reserve

Not got a lot of spare cash at the moment? Don’t worry, girls aren’t only impressed by big fancy dinners that cost an arm and a leg, thought goes a long way (for most of us anyway!) Make up a picnic hamper full of all your (and her!) favourite treats from Aldi and whisk her off to Cannon Hill Park. It is a stunning location to whip out the picnic blanket and enjoy each other’s company. There is also a nature reserve, essentially a miniature zoo right next to the park which is always fun to look around. Obviously a date like this is much more suited to the summer months! A winter alternative is a stroll round the park, maybe visit the nature reserve and then head back to yours where you can cook her a lovely homemade dinner.

1. Sealife Centre and Brindley Place Lunch

Want to make a day of it? Why not visit the Sealife Centre! Anyone who has been would probably make the bold claim that it is better than the London Aquarium. You can usually always find discount vouchers for it online too! 2 for 1 and such like. It is lovely to have a wonder around there together and why not make the date even better by adding in lunch? It is such an ideal location in Brindley Place and is surrounded by a vast array of restaurants and bars.

1. Mailbox Dinner Date and The Cube

Want to do something fancy? Get all dressed up? Then tell your lucky lady to be ready at a certain time, pick her up and whisk her (equally effective in a taxi for those of you lacking in the automobile department) off to the Mailbox. It is beautiful at night as the canals are lit up. Make sure you book in advance especially if it is a Friday or Saturday night because the restaurants round there are extremely popular. There is such a great choice to accommodate for a vast array of price ranges.Whether you fancy Italian, French or Mexican or even Thai is tickling your fancy then there is definitely something for everyone. And the evening doesn’t have to end there. After dinner head on up to the 25th floor of The Cube and grab a cocktail or two in the plush bar, head out onto the balcony and enjoy the stunning views of Birmingham at night.

1. Cadbury World…

Need I say more? There are very few girls I can think of who don’t enjoy indulging in a bar of heavenly Cadbury chocolate. Perhaps avoid taking a girl here if she is on an incredibly strict diet, or just a diet of any sort, there are enough temptations out there as it is she doesn’t need it rubbing in her face. But if this isn’t the case then take her here. As you walk around you will be given copious amounts of free chocolate, if you’re feeling like a real gent why not give yours to your girl? (Thank me later ladies) It is incredibly easy to get to, just a couple of train stops from University or Selly Oak to Bourneville and then follow the signposts and take a nice stroll to the factory.

1. The Hippodrome or Alexander Theatre and Dinner in The Arcadium

Want to have a more sophisticated, cultural date? Then find out in advance if there is anything on at the Theatre that she might like and book some tickets. The Arcadium is in a perfect location for either pre or post-theatre dining. Once again this offers a whole host of options varying from Japanese to Modern British, Chinese to Mexican. Something for every palate..

1. Leisure Box and Dinner in The Arcadium

Theatre not your thing? What about trading that in for some ice skating and bowling! Starting from the bargain price of £8 you can have a competitive game of bowling followed by a romantic skate on the ice with skate hire included. This won’t be every girls cup of tea though so be careful, you don’t want to turn up here with a girl who is expecting to be wined and dined and have a very civilised evening, more for a girl who is up for a laugh. Once again, very conveniently located for the Arcadium, just cross over the road and enjoy all kinds of food.

1. The German Christmas Market

It is coming up to everyone’s favourite time of year again. And in Birmingham that means one things, it is time for the city centre to once again be transformed as it is filled with the stalls from the Frankfurt German Christmas market. Wrap up in your hats and scarves and jump on the train to New Street. Enjoy a stroll around the beautiful market getting in the festive mood. Treat you and your girl to a traditional bratwurst sausage and wash it down with a jumbo German beer or a warming mulled wine.

1. Classic Cinema and Dinner Date

The Odeon on New Street is a very reasonably priced cinema with loads of screens showing all the latest films. Or for an alternative option why not try the Electric Cinema on Station Street? This is the oldest working cinema in the country. With far fewer screens it is usually showing one arty unusual film and one of the latest blockbusters. Sit back and enjoy the film in extreme comfort on a sofa in an intimate surrounding, and even order food and drink to be brought to your seat. A truly unique experience. Why not follow up the classic cinema date with a meal in the city centre, there is a wide variety of restaurants on offer, Jamie’s Italian being a personal favourite.

1. Music Lovers Date

Is your lucky lady really into her music? Check out what the various venues throughout the city have on offer. From the O2 Academy to the HMV Institute, from the LG Arena to the Birmingham Glee Club. There is bound to be something for everyone. Whether it is an intimate acoustic set you’re after or a head banging fist pumping time, it is definitely worth looking into. A surprise pair of tickets to her favourite artist is always going to go down well.

1. Active Couple’s Date

Both keen cyclists? Why not hop on your bikes and cycle over to Lickey Hills. There are some absolutely stunning views there, who knew that a place like that existed in Birmingham?! Explore the woods and all around the hills. A great chance to chat in the peace and quiet with no other distractions. Why not stop for lunch or dinner at one of the surrounding pubs. A cute date you wouldn’t expect to be able to have in Birmingham.