Why We Love To Hate Reality TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Whether we like to admit it or not, we all have a love-hate relationship with Reality TV. Whether it’s the Real Housewives or the Jersey Shore, everyone has had a guilty pleasure at some point.

While we’re watching Reality TV we are doing one of two things. We are either criticizing and scoffing at how ridiculous they are, or we are wishing we were in their shoes at that moment, imagining what we would be doing if we were them.

In my opinion, one of the major reasons we love Reality TV is because some part of us lives vicariously through them. Even in the most outrageous situations in that moment while we’re watching we see ourselves in that situation. I personally love watching The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills because I love to watch the extravagant vacations they take and the cute clothes they shop for. Whether it’s Spain or Amsterdam, it’s definitely better than doing homework in your dorm at Binghamton University! On the other hand, I love watching Vanderpump Rules, because no matter how stressed out I am, I can always count on their problems to be worse and more dramatic than mine. It is definitely a moral booster!

In contrast, one of the main reasons we hate Reality TV is because we realize how fake it is. We are under the impression that we are following the real lives of these people, when in reality they are definitely acting when in front of the camera. They’re actions can be embarrassing and offensive at sometimes and it’s frustrating to see that. I know for me, sometimes I cringe thinking about how stupid they’re acting. However, in some cases, we could hate reality stars because we say how stupid they’re acting because really we have had those embarrassing over the top moments. I know that there were times when I bugged out and made a huge embarrassing scene, definitely worthy of bad Reality TV.

Overall, whether it’s for bad or good we all have our reasons for watching Reality TV

Nicole is a Sophomore at Binghamton University who intends on studying Psychology and Linguistics. She hopes that readers enjoy reading her articles as much as she enjoys writing them.
Binghamton Contributor