What to Wear Downtown in the Polar Vortex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

It’s a Saturday night so of course you just got to Tom & Marty’s and are preparing to dance the night away to Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing for the fifteenth time. I mean where else would you be, right? Wrong. In reality: you checked your phone hours ago only to discover it’s -2 yet again and frostbite doesn’t really look cute with that new crop top you just got. So by 11:30 your curled up in bed full with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s and are catching up on Pretty Little Liars or watching reruns of One Tree Hill. Now don’t get me wrong, it’s deff ok to do this every now and then (ok like every other weekend) but the cold (no matter how much we want it to be) is not a legitimate excuse to not be social and hang out with your friends! There are ways that you can dress cute and avoid looking like the yeti from Monsters Inc. Here’s a guide of how to make warm and comfy be simultaniously cute and downtown-y.

Don’t Forget your Fracket:

Whoever said diamonds are girls best friend clearly never wanted to go out in Binghamton. Let me introduce you to the fracket. It is a truly magical item because it still keeps you warm and you don’t have to worry about your nice winter coat getting ruined. And you don’t mind (AS MUCH) if mysterious substances are spilled on it because you got it from Old Navy for 15 dollars. But if what worries you is lugging around an actual jacket the whole night, fear not. There are so many places that you can hide it and still recover it safe and sound by the end of the night. Frats-make friends with someone, anyone, and then politely ask if you can leave your jacket in their room. It’ll stay there safe and sound until you pick it up before you leave. The trick is just remembering to grab it. But that shouldn’t be much of a problem, the freezing air will be a good reminder. Bars-I promise if you spend a little bit of time looking there are plenty of safe nooks and crannies to stuff you jacket into, Dillengers even has a coat room! 

LEGGINGS:

Let’s be honest. You probably haven’t shaved your legs in an embarrisingly long time. No need to start now! The groundhog saw his shadow, you have another 6 weeks! There is no need to wear a skirt when there are so many super cute leggings available for going out. Velvet leggings or leather leggings are my fave. They are so easy to dress up but still so cute and warm.

Accessories:

Don’t be shy about wearing a hat, gloves, and a scarf dt either. You don’t have to wear them while your in the bars or at a party (unless your into that). If you are already bringing your fracket they invented pockets for a reason. Kinda on this note LAYERS. Layers are amazing becuase the magical thing about them is they trap heat when you want them to and when you step into the Rat and can bearly breath its so hot you can simply take them off and disgard them with your fracket. Voila!

Pro Tip:

You might be tempted to wear a really warm shirt as well as leggings or jeans and boots but don’t forget you’re most likely only going to be outside in line for the bars for 15 minutes but you’ll actually be in a hot and sweaty bar twerking your stuff for the majority of the night. Never wear a bulky sweater with nothing under it so that you are stuck wearing it all night. Looking hot is attractive. Being extremely hot and sweaty isn’t.

She was the Binghamton University Campus Correspondent Spring 2015-Spring 2016. She started writing for Her Campus second semester Freshman year and has loved it ever since! She is now a Binghamton University graduate with a degree in English and minor in History. She is an enthusiastic writer and reader, obsessed with social media, traveling, and ending misogyny. Her two great loves are Harry Potter marathons and sampling cheese. She is excited by the prospect of new challenges and can't wait to dive in and get her hands dirty.
Binghamton Contributor