TV Shows and Movies to Binge Watch Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Whether you’re traveling home or traveling to some exotic locale, it’s undeniable that the upcoming Spring Break has been long overdue. But regardless of where you choose to spend your upcoming week of relaxation and peace, make sure you set aside time to catch up on your favorite shows. Drop those textbooks and pick up that remote! Here are a few TV shows and documentaries I recommend checking out while you’re cozied up in bed or sprawled out on the beach.

Bates Motel

When I first heard about a prequel to the Alfred Hitchcock classic Psycho, I was just as skeptical as most. I don’t like when classic movies or TV shows are remade but Bates Motel delivers. With Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore (yes, that’s little Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) at the helm, Bates Motel makes you feel way better about your family drama. Murder, scandal, secrets, this show has it all. Not to mention the fashion is to die for. Norma Bates is classic and elegant but in a modern way. Dressing in such timeless pieces not only makes the show more believable but it introduces an easy way to implement the vintage classics she rocks into your daily wear as well. Take notes ladies! Plus, Norman’s half-brother Dylan is super attractive in the dark and mysterious guy type of way. With a standout cast and a strong storyline, Bates Motel should definitely be introduced to your weekly TV rotation. It’s only in its second season, so get caught up over Spring Break!

Devious Maids

Currently set to air its season two premiere on April 20th, Devious Maids is my oh-so-guilty pleasure and I can’t wait for it to return to the air. Written to mimic a Spanish telenovela, the melodramatic plot is sure to keep you laughing and gasping with each and every twist. Follow the lives of four maids who work for Beverley Hills elites, as they clean up their messy homes and equally as messy lives.  Similar to Desperate Housewives in style and over the top theatrics, these housemaids give the ladies of Wisteria Lane a run for their money! Be sure to catch up in time for the season two premiere!

20 Feet from Stardom

Look at any singer, Beyoncé, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and then look 20 feet beside them. The aptly titled, 20 Feet from Stardom follows the lives of those often missed but crucial components to any great musician, the backup singers. Winner of the 2014 Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature, this documentary follows the lives of several backup singers for some of the music industry’s biggest names.  A film like this is well overdue and this one does not disappoint. Backup singers are the unsung heroes of any musical performance and this film sheds a radiant light on those who often stand back in the shadows of the stars they support. Critics and viewers alike have agreed, 20 Feet from Stardom is a must see!

Brooklyn Castle

If I told you there was a school in the US where kids on the chess team were more popular than the football team would you believe me?  What about a 17 year old girl who is on the verge of achieving chess master status; a feat not accomplished by many. Talk about girl power! In the case of Intermediate School 318 in Williamsburg, NY these fantasies are realities. While most students who attend this school live at or below the poverty line, they rise above in the game of chess. They have the most winning record of any junior high school team in the country. Brooklyn Castle is a story of triumph for many of the students as they find success in life, school and the chess table. Never has chess looked so cool.  Don’t believe me? Watch it for yourself.

Shavonna Q. Hinton
Binghamton Contributor