Top 5 Reasons Why Spring Semester Is The Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

It’s well into February and we’re slowly getting back into the routine of early-morning classes, lots of work, and freezing cold weather! If your winter break was anything like mine and you spent the majority of your time doing basically nothing and sleeping til noon, you’re probably having a bit of a tough time getting back into the swing of school. One thing that helps me readjust to the new semester is thinking about all the things we have to look forward to! 

#1-Warm Weather

This is a huge one for me since I absolutely hate the cold (please hold the “Why do you go to Binghamton then?” comments). This winter has been an especially bad one for Upstate New York. Seasonal affective disorder, more commonly known as the “winter blues” affects a large percent of college students. If you’re feeling down, that’s normal! But have no fear…the first day of spring is just six short weeks away. In the meantime, try and get in as much natural sunlight as you can to feel better. School is always so much more pleasant when the weather is warmer…studying outside, playing sports on the quad, and eating at outdoor cafes. The warm spring weather totally changes the vibe on campus.

#2-Spring Fling

Even if you don’t go to Binghamton, almost every school has some kind of outdoor festival toward the end of the spring semester (shoutout to Mayfest at nearby Syracuse). These festivals usually include some sort of a concert. Here at Bing, Spring Fling is one of the biggest events of the year. Everyone comes together to spend the day on the quad playing games, going on rides, and eating typical carnival foods that we all love, like fried Oreos. Later in the evening, we have our annual concert! In the past, people such as Drake and Passion Pit have come to Bing…although last year we did in fact have Yellowcard. Even if the artist isn’t the greatest, students always make the best of the situation and have a blast! After all, who doesn’t love “Ocean Avenue”? Such a #tbt.

#3-Parade Day

Ah…the infamous parade day. The one day a year where day drinking is socially acceptable since we don’t go to a football school. Parade day is so much fun because similarly to Spring Fling, it is one of the only times that almost the entire school comes together for a day of fun! The same St. Patrick’s Day parade that goes through New York City comes through the city of Binghamton, and in a nut shell, thousands of hammered students pile onto the busses going downtown and frolic around Binghamton. All the bars serve all day, and the restaurants are open too. It is quite a scene-let’s just hope it stays warm this year!

#4-Spring Break

Everyone is complaining about the fact that our break is so late this year, but on the bright side, we’ll all be home to celebrate Passover or Easter with our families! It’s a slight drag that we have to wait so long for a break, but another plus is that no one has the same break as we do, so it’s a great opportunity to go visit your friends at other schools! Also, many people are going on exotic vacations so that’s exciting. Who doesn’t love spring break?

#5-Spring Clothing

This goes along with warmer weather, but I for one cannot wait to put all my sweaters and scarves away for the spring and summer. So many cute outfits can be created in the transition time from winter to spring, such as layering different clothing articles or wearing denim-style jackets and combat boots with flowery spring dresses. And soon enough you can rock those cute tanks and tees with your favorite pairs of jean shorts and sandals. Try to refresh your spring wardrobe now to get things on sale before everything becomes full price! Happy almost spring collegiettes XOXO

Rachel is from northern New Jersey and is currently a junior at Binghamton University in New York. She is majoring in Psychology with a minor in Education. She has always been interested in fashion, and she loves to write. She was first a news writer and then the Arts and Entertainment editor for her award-winning high school newspaper, The Highland Fling. She now is a contributing news writer to BU's paper, Pipe Dream. She is thrilled to be a new member of the Her Campus team!
Binghamton Contributor