Sunglasses For Every Face Shape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

April showers bring May flowers and May sunshine. With April coming to an end next week, the month of May means just a few weeks left of school until summer vacation. As we change our wardrobe from winter sweaters to sundresses and tank tops, my favorite part of the sunny weather is getting to wear sunglasses again. I’ll admit it, I have a little bit of sunglasses problem and when I leave home without them over the summer, I feel lost without them. However, one of the most difficult things is picking out the perfect pair. Here’s a guide to finding sunglasses that are both cute and perfect for your face shape!

Round- If you have a round face, then join the round face club with Emma Stone, Mila Kunis, Cameron Diaz, and Adele! It’s important to be careful when picking out sunglasses for this shape face. Finding sunglasses that thin out your face are a good start! Don’t get sunglasses that have an extreme shape, get something with round edges and a flat bridge.

Heart-Shaped- If you have a heart-shaped face than your face most likely resembles that of Ashley Greene, Mary-Kate Olsen,  and Reese Witherspoon! Heart shaped faces are defined by narrow chins and high cheekbones. Sunglasses with detailing, wide at the top and narrow at the bottom, and have oval or even rimless frames will look great. Cat-eye frames also look great for this face shape! Don’t wear heavy frames!

Oval- If you’re lucky enough to have this face shape then you are lucky enough to share a face shape with Beyonce, Rihanna, Tyra Banks, and Megan Fox. If you have this face shape your face is almost symmetrical and you can pretty much get away with any sunglass shape you want. Although if you’re going to stay away from anything, try and stay away from aviator sunglasses.

Oblong- If you have an oblong face you may find it hard to find that perfect pair of sunglasses. However, stars like Jessica Alba, Kate Beckinsale, and Kelly Rowland share your struggle. Oblong faces are defined to be long with straight cheekbones. Glasses with round rims are perfect for this shape face as well as glasses with soft bridges.

Square- If you have a square face then you have something in common with Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston, and Jessica Simpson. Don’t go for small frames, instead go for glasses that are high on top. 

Samantha Wieder is a senior at Binghamton University. She's majoring in English Rhetoric and minoring in Cinema. Heavily involved in campus, she's proud to be part of BTV, Binghamton's student run television station, as production manager on e-board. She's also a member of the Marketing Association, staff writer for Pipe Dream Release, and a sister of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. During the summer of 2014, she was an Editorial Intern at Long Island Pulse Magazine in Patchogue, NY and during the summer of 2015, she was a Marketing and Communications Intern at Hazon, a Jewish non-profit in the Financial District. She looks forward to interning at FOX 40 in Binghamton during the spring 2016 semester and to begin a career in New York City for post-grad life. She looks forward to another incredible year of writing for Her Campus!
Binghamton Contributor