Plaid:The Cool Girl’s Print

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

With regards to plaid this season, leave your notions of lumber jacks and Scottish, kilt wearing country men behind. Plaid, one of the boldest statement making prints out there, is making a come back!

Implementing this textile into your fall wardrobe is super simple. For an on-trend grunge look, pair an over size plaid button down shirt with your go-to dark wash skinny jeans. No need to even go out and buy one, in this case your boyfriend has been on trend for years! Snag a neutral toned plaid flannel to be worn open or buttoned up for a casual vibe. For the single ladies, do not fret. You can get your hands on a vintage plaid button down at any thrift store to complete the look.

A little bit higher up on the plaid style spectrum is the mini-skirt. Back in grade school the plaid pleated skirts hit the dowdy and unflattering knee point. Well, luckily school is out and hemlines are rising! The naughty schoolgirl persona can be made daytime appropriate when paired with the right top. A simple crewneck sweater for a classic collegiate look or even a graphic t-shirt for a street-style aesthetic.

Campus fashionistas know exactly how to rock Fall’s hottest trend. Sophomore, Claire Petrosino styled plaid her own way for a day-time look. Claire wore her dark button down open with the sleeves rolled up revealing a simple black tank underneath. Paired with a black flared mini skirt and simple leather booties, Claire created the perfect mix for a flirty grunge look.  

Binghamton Contributor