This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

As cliché as it sounds, “My Cinderella Story,” is my Bat Mitzvah. At the ripe old age of twelve, my body was experiencing a whole array of emotions and changes. I’ll spare you all the details; we don’t know need a repeat of middle school Health class. Anyways, because of these new attributes to my body I felt very uncomfortable in my own skin. Early adolescence definitely coincided with my awkward phase. I had braces, acne, my clothes were not fitting the way it should, and I was just an awkward/ prude tween. Although “My Cinderella Story” isn’t quite like the fairy tale, or the movie adaptation featuring my forever teen idol, Hilary Duff, metaphorically I did transform from a pumpkin to a horse-drawn carriage.

In the Jewish religion, at age twelve or thirteen, boys and girls undergo the process of becoming an “adult.” Months leading up to the ceremony, I studied with my Cantor Torah and all the prayers in order to lead the service, as well as I met with my Rabbi to discuss my Torah portion and what it truly means to become a Bat Mitzvah. At the time, I really felt like I was the furthest thing from being considered an adult. If I could barely figure out how to wear a bra, how could I really be considered an adult? Besides the religious aspect of the Bat Mitzvah, there is the cultural aspect, aka the party. The party is everyone’s favorite part of the religious milestone, however for me, someone still learning about who she is and trying to navigate her world, it was the part I was most anxious about. There were so many pressures and I was the one running the show. Even the smallest of details I had to take under consideration.

As the days drew closer and everything was falling into place, I couldn’t push away my nerves. The girl that was always a wall flower-that blended into the crowd, was now suppose to have all this attention, something I was so not used to. I was worried about how I was going to look, how I was going to sound, and how people would think of me. Finally the day arrived, I was given the royal treatment; I got my hair, make-up, and nails done. As well, the time came for me to put on my dress. As I looked at myself in the mirror, I didn’t recognize the girl that was staring back. I didn’t know it was possible to go from looking awkward and uncomfortable in my own body to looking like a princess from head to toe. This sudden transformation gave me the assurance to be able to lead a crowd of people, to have all eyes on me. I guess you can say that I did go from a pumpkin to a horse- drawn carriage physically that day, however my new confidence and outlook on life has stuck with me and guided me until this very day. 

Melissa is a sophomore at Binghamton University. She is from Scarsdale, NY. She getting a dual degree in English Rhetoric and Human Development. She loves fashion, writing, and social media. Since joining the Her Campus she has interned at two magazines, CollegeFashionista.com and Paper Magazine in NYC. She currently is the Vice President of the sorority Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. She is looking forward to making the next step in her HC journey from Staff Writer to Campus Correspondent.
Binghamton Contributor