This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

With fall in the air, there are so many fun things to do in Binghamton, but in the back of our heads we know that midterms are just around the corner.  So fasten your seatbelt, and get ready for what lies ahead.  Here some tips for making your midterm studying the most productive possible:

1. I always begin by going through all of my class syllabuses and marking down the dates of exams and other assignments that way I can plan accordingly and manage my time in the most efficient way.  I also find creating a written to do list to be very helpful.  When I complete a project, I can cross it off my list.  The worst feeling is having to write an essay the night before it’s due, so make sure to plan ahead and be on top of your work!

2. Take advantage of review sessions.  Many classes do not offer review sessions before exams.  So, if the professor or TA is holding a review session, GO!  Prepare a list of questions to ask or make a list of topics you do not understand to go over.  This is a great way to receive extra help.

3. When I was a freshman, many upperclassmen advised me to find a place on campus where you feel comfortable studying.  This spot can be anywhere on campus, just make sure to find a place where you feel content and get the most work done.  Additionally, if you need a change of scenery or you live off campus, there are plenty of spots to take advantage of, whether it be the Starbucks in UP or a coffee shop downtown there are tons of places to choose from.

4. I cannot stress enough how important it is to take breaks when studying.  Sometimes, I have found that I will be in the library for hours and I just cannot focus.  If I take quick lap around the spine, I find that I will be more productive later on.  I highly suggest taking a quick hike in the nature preserve, going apple picking or even just going to the gym.  All are great options!

5.  Always bring snacks with you!  This will save you time and you will not have to wait on the long Jazzman’s lines.  Some of my favorite study snacks include carrot sticks and hummus, grapes, a granola bar and pretzels.

Elana is a Junior at Binghamton University. She is majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Consulting. She is originally from New Jersey. Some of her hobbies include traveling, cooking, reading, writing and playing tennis. On campus, she is involved with Hillel and volunteers at the Boys and Girls Club. She is looking forward to writing for Her Campus and hopes to amuse and provide advice for fellow Binghamton students.
Binghamton Contributor