Mandy Kaur ’11: Co-Events Chair for CASU!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

You think your schedule is busy? Mandy Kaur, a senior here at Binghamton is taking 22 credits during her last semester and is majoring in Integrative Neuroscience with a minor in geological sciences. You think that sounds like alot ? Well, she also currently holds the position as Co- Events Coordinator for the Chinese American Student Union.

CASU is one of the biggest Asian interest groups on campus and  throws some of the biggest events.  The biggest of them all is China Night, a yearly event that celebrates the entire Chinese population not only in Binghamton, but from all over the East Coast. The event is not Chinese, or Asian exclusive and pools over 500 guests from all over the United States each year. This year, Mandy had the great pleasure of organizing it. Mandy’s main job, as a Co-Events coordinator,  is to act as a liaison between all performers and the organization. She was in charge of all venue decisions,  took on the responsiblity of accomodating all organizations that wish to perform, and essentially, just ran the show. 

Although her job was very hectic, she has had a lot of great practice. Over the summer, she had the great pleasure of volunteering for the NYC science festival in which she helped coordinate events all over Manhattan to help expand the interest of science and the history behind the importance.

On campus, Mandy is also a part of the Street District Project which is an ongoing revolution to try to create a better atmosphere for the city of Binghamton.

“As a member of the Project, our goal is to create a safer environment for students on campus as well as residents off campus. We believe that by bringing everyone together as a city would create an atmosphere that would be enjoyable to everyone”, Kaur said.

Kaur is also involved in Binghamton’s chapter of  NYPIRG, the New York Public Interest Research group. Through NYPIRG, Kaur  helps advocate for the homeless and hungry around the Binghamton Area. She was also able to get closer with underprivileged children through her inolvement with the  SUNY KIDS program.

Kaur is certainly one of the busiest people at Binghamton, but  Kaur she assured Her Campus that she never takes on a new challenge unless she is sure she can give it her all, “If I know that I am unable to put 100% into something, I will not do it.”

And with the commitment to her classes, her extra curricular activities and position as co-host events coordinator for CASU, there’s no doubt that she will be able to accomplish absolutely anything she sets her mind to. When Kaur graduates, she plans on completing her masters and  participating in research about molecular biology. She does also plan to take a year off so she is able to travel. Kaur’s main goal in life is to help prevent diseases, especially when it comes to eye care.

Lauren Howley is a junior at Binghamton University pursuing a double degreen in English/rhetoric and Marketing. Originally from Staten Island, New York, Lauren thinks that New York City is the most beautiful place in the world and hopes to one day live and work there. She was a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section of the Binghamton PipeDream, where she spent her time writing about fashion and college life. Last summer, she spent her time researching honeymoon destinations and blogging about bridal trends as an intern for The Knot Weddings Magazine in New York City. In her spare time, Lauren enjoys laughing, hanging out with her friends, blasting music while she drives, applying movie quotes every situation possible, and drinking coffee like its her job. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career in lifestyle journalism or entrepreneurship.