How Do You Feel About the Changing of Wholly Habaneros and the Marketplace Overall?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

This is currently my third year at Binghamton and believe it or not, the Marketplace wasn’t always in existence. In the fall of 2013, there was no main area on campus for anyone and everyone to gather. But, finally in the spring of 2014, the Marketplace opened. It was decorated in bright colors and tile, a fireplace sitting area, and tons of tables and booths for students to lounge in, study, and chat while in-between classes.

Now that everyone has gotten used to this wonderful “watering hole” on campus, the changes that have been made here and there are ones that have been noticed, such as the changing of Wholly Habaneros to a burger and grilled cheese station. In my opinion, the “Mexican” cuisine at Wholly Habaneros was never that great. The meat would be dry and the rice would be bland. I’d much rather go and get a burrito or quesadilla form the CIW dining hall, because let me tell you, that is where the quality Mexican cuisine is on campus. I know some are upset that there is now no way to get some tacos or burritos in the center of campus, but I think burgers and grilled cheese sound pretty dope.

In general, the Marketplace is o-kay. When I don’t want to go all the way back to a dining hall, such as C4, the Marketplace seems like a great option. But, the food options sometimes get a little dull for me. The Chinese food is sometimes a little questionable, the salad station has a line that goes for miles, the pizza is covered in a layer of oil, and unfortunately I’m not really a sandwich kind of gal. My go-to meals in the Marketplace tend to be Moghul, Cakes and Eggs (my fave), and only when the line is short, the salad station.

If I could change the Marketplace, I definitely would. I’d take out the Chinese and add in something along the lines of Panera or home-style food, because that’s what most college students miss the most. I know there would be horrendous lines but if we’re really talking Mexican I’d add in some Moe’s or Chipotle. I think having a sub station as well as a regular sandwich station isn’t the greatest idea so I’d take out the subs and add in a station just dedicated to mac-n-cheese.

Obviously I don’t really think any of my changes and improvements are going to happen, at least right now. But, maybe some dedicated students in the future could rally together and make some of these wonderful suggestions actually happen. But in the mean time, I think we all have our favorite stations, so just stick to those. 

Elyse Aufrichtig is a senior at Binghamton University. She's majoring in Management with a concentration in Marketing and minoring in Global Studies. She has a passion for communications and social media. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she's working on a project for the Marketing Association, working with her sorority sisters (Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi) as Vice President or just simply spending time with her friends and looking for her next Instagram picture. She enjoys traveling, writing, taking photos, social media, crafting, or just grabbing a cup of coffee. She just came back from a semester abroad in Rome and can't wait to return one day. In the future, Elyse hopes to spend lots of time traveling the world and meeting tons of new people. If you're interested in following her, you can find her on Twitter @rELYSEd and Instagram @elyse.aufrichtig.
Binghamton Contributor