How To: Balance A Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Unfortunately it is once again that time in the semester. The time when we irrationally yell at our moms for asking how we are doing, the time when we take naps in the middle of the day (most likely in the middle of the library) and we visit the NOWL a little bit more than we should. It’s midterms time. Not only is our workload pilling up on us but so is the stress. But, not to worry, there are ways to help combat stress and not go crazy in the process. Here’s a guide to help you get your work done in the calm cool and collected manner all collegiettes are capable of if they set their mind to it.

Planning:

Planning is a vital part of not stressing and having balance in your life. Otherwise you can get a bit overwhelmed. You’ll go crazy wondering if it’s better to start studying for that bio test now or start crafting gifts for your little, or should you write that huge English paper that you’ve been putting off or put some hours into your job? You won’t have to ask yourself all these questions if at the beginning of every week you sit down and plan your schedule. Mark out blocks of time for different classes and for work. But, don’t forget to also set aside time to relax and just chill. It’s counterproductive to not let yourself have a little “me time”. Go out to a movie, order in Chinese or treat yourself to a Mani Pedi, or take a walk in the nature preserve, whatever it is just make sure you get out of your head for a little bit!

Exercising and Eating Healthy:

Speaking of “me time”, this is the most important thing that you can do to help yourself succeed! How are you supposed to do well on a bio lab if all you’ve eaten the whole day is a box of lucky charms and ramen. Your body will crash and burn if you don’t start respecting it. Make time to go to the gym, eat healthy and get plenty of sleep. Exercising helps keep you alert and your body and mind focused and energized. Always keep in mind that it is just as important to take care of yourself as it is to get all of your work done. In fact these go hand in hand!

Don’t forget About Your Friends!

You know that your friends are there for you no matter what, the good and the bad. Yes, everyone has work and everyone is stressed out so no, you don’t need to complain 24/7 but it deff helps to talk to your friends about what’s bothering you! You never know, maybe they have some great advice and can really help. Even though they can’t memorize that Shakespeare sonnet for you, they will understand that you are stressed out and will help you laugh off some of that stress. It is especially important to open up to your friends if you are prone to taking out your stress on other people. At least if you accidently snap at them for leaving one dish in the sink they will understand what you really mean “I’m nervous about failing stats”. Your friends will get where you are coming from and not take it so personally. And the next time they need to vent about their problems they will know that you are there for them!

She was the Binghamton University Campus Correspondent Spring 2015-Spring 2016. She started writing for Her Campus second semester Freshman year and has loved it ever since! She is now a Binghamton University graduate with a degree in English and minor in History. She is an enthusiastic writer and reader, obsessed with social media, traveling, and ending misogyny. Her two great loves are Harry Potter marathons and sampling cheese. She is excited by the prospect of new challenges and can't wait to dive in and get her hands dirty.
Binghamton Contributor