ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall 2014 Class Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Well, it’s that time of the semester again. You either love it or hate it (…maybe both). Picking classes can be tricky, but here are a few that if you have the room are a must-take!

• Principles of Macroeconomics (ECON 162): N/Social Science, Kenny Christianson. Even if you’re not an econ major or minor, this class really lays the basic groundwork for economic thought and understanding. I took it my freshman year, and Kenny is great (and super upbeat)! As Economics applies to just about every field of study, this is a very practical class to take if you have the space. 
  • U.S. Financial Systems- Markets and Institutions (ECON 350): Yet another Kenny Christianson class, if you’re a little more well versed in economics and want something more than just principles, this class is really interesting and fun. It breaks down how role of financial systems in the US Economy (great if you want to know more about how our country operates). Better yet, he sometimes gives out free food and money as prizes. What more could you want?  
  • Television and American Culture (ENG 300V): As I’m sure you know, Ryan Vaughan is the Mecca of all teachers here at Bing. This class counts as a Humanity or Writing Gen Ed, but who takes a Vaughan class for the credits? Professor Vaughan is an absolute riot and really challenges you to question everything in this world. He taught me to approach life with a skeptical yet carefree attitude and really knows his stuff. Take any class you can with him. 
  • Zombie Nation (ENG 300Z): While I have not taken this class, I have heard nothing but great things about the content, professor, and diffiulty of the class. This is one of those “I should take this now because I’ll never have a chance to study this after college” kind of classes. Don’t let it slip by! 
  • Humor in Film (ENG 380O): As I said before, Vaughan is the man. What other teacher memorizes the names of +500 students every semester and then REMEMBERS them pretty much forever? No other teacher, that’s who. 
  • Physical Fitness and Wellness (HWS 211): I took this class last spring with Jessica Surdey and it was AMAZING! It counts as a B which fulfills all fitness requirements. Jessica will kick your butt, but it’s totally worth it. During the semester, I learned a lot about my own family health history, some nutrition facts I was unaware of, and managed to take 2 minutes off my mile. You do different exercise routines each class so it never gets boring. Definitely a must-take fitness class. 
  • Number Systems (Intro to Proofs) (MATH 330): Now, this class definitely sets the groundwork for all upper level math; however, if you like puzzles and understanding why things are the way they are, DEFINITELY take this class. You prove things like 1 is an integer, or why division works. It’s really really interesting and provides you with a whole new way of thinking. 
  • Python (CS 110): Almost every field of work requires some technological background nowadays. As a forewarning, this class is a good amount of work; however, it really is the most basic way of learning computer science. Again, if you like solving puzzles, this class will definitely tickle your fancy. 
  • Jazz in American Music (MUS 113): If you are musical/have an interest in music but don’t want to take theory, this is a great class for the artistic. 
  • THEA 101 or 102 (Intro to Musical Theater/Theater): Kevin Oakes is a hilarious teacher. While I did not take the class, all my friends have recommended this gem. If you like theater and want to broaden your horizons, this class will certainly expose you to tons of theatrical works and speakers. 
  • Guns and Monsters (CINE 275): Counting as an Aesthetic (A) Gen Ed, I’ve heard great things about this class. If you like watching movies about guns AND monsters, this is the class for you. But seriously, this class goes into depth about our perceptions of violence in cinema such as good violence vs. evil violence, gender roles, and racial stereotypes.

Happy scheduling!

Binghamton Contributor