Dorm Style: It’s Not Too Late to Decorate!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

We all put in so much effort on move in day and throughout the first week of school to personalize and decorate our rooms. But eventually classes start and the work load comes in and you feel like you don’t have the time to print out that photo collage you’ve been meaning to hang on your wall since day one. And then you decide that you shouldn’t even bother. It’s already halfway through the semester, so how much of a difference will adding a couple more decorations make? I completely understand where you are coming from. But even if you already feel like it’s too late, making your room homier will make a big difference for the rest of the year. You shouldn’t look at your room at school as temporary because your only going to be living in it for one year, you should look at it as some place to make your home because for ¼ of your college life, that will be where you spend a lot of your time, even if only to sleep and take naps (and who doesn’t enjoy a nap more in an adorable room?). So, take inspiration from Rebecca Bandler, a girl who took a room in UP and made it her sanctuary.

Rebecca decorated her room like a pro by adding:

Posters: all over the walls. This makes a huge difference and makes the plain white walls look a lot better.

Wall tapestry: and the Israeli flag really make the room her own and take up a lot of the bland space

Lights: never underestimate their importance. They make it so much more inviting and really light up a room (get it?)! I especially enjoy her use of different types of lights. The Christmas lights and hanging blue paper lantern are so cool.

So, take a few of these ideas and personalize them for your room and you’ll be so glad that you did! There is nothing better than coming back from a long day of classes to a place that makes you happy, it makes it so worth the time.

She was the Binghamton University Campus Correspondent Spring 2015-Spring 2016. She started writing for Her Campus second semester Freshman year and has loved it ever since! She is now a Binghamton University graduate with a degree in English and minor in History. She is an enthusiastic writer and reader, obsessed with social media, traveling, and ending misogyny. Her two great loves are Harry Potter marathons and sampling cheese. She is excited by the prospect of new challenges and can't wait to dive in and get her hands dirty.
Binghamton Contributor