Concerts to Check Out Over the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Summer 2014 is right around the corner and students are scrambling to sign up for summer classes, find internships and jobs, and even start getting ready for the 2014-2015 school year. However, even when keeping busy in the summer, it’s important to enjoy your time off from school. One of my favorite summer activities include going to concerts and this upcoming summer is promising a ton of amazing shows to go to. Here are some of the concerts you definitely don’t want to miss this summer!

Backstreet Boys- Last year the Backstreet Boys kicked off their “In a World Like This” tour and this summer they’re heading back on the road for the second leg of the tour and bringing along Avril Lavigne.  The US leg of the tour kicks off on May 22nd in Seattle, Washington and will bring them all over the country until they end on June 22nd in Wantagh, New York at Jones Beach. With Backstreet coming back on tour this summer, you certainly don’t want to miss the chance to see the beloved 90s pop band that we all know and love. 

Beyonce and Jay-Z- Beyonce and Jay-Z are officially hitting the road together this summer for the “On The Road” tour. This tour will quite possibly be the biggest tour to take place this summer and for good reason. The married couple and “Drunk In Love” duo are hitting the road on June 25th in Miami, Florida and playing some of the most famous stadiums in the country until their final show on August 5th in San Francisco, California. If you want to see the queen and her king perform in what will most likely become a legendary concert tour, then make sure you get your tickets fast because the show is bound to sell out quick!

Bruno Mars- Bruno Mars is known for his catchy tunes such as “Locked Out of Heaven” and his ability to light up a stage with his lovable stage presence and this summer he’ll be hitting North America with “The Man” Aloe Blacc and “Happy” singer, Pharrel Williams. If you find yourself humming along to his songs as they come on the radio, you should check out the tour! You’ll definitely love the show that he can put on!

Katy Perry- Katy Perry has had a really good year with the release of her album, Prism, and this summer you can hear your favorite tracks including “Roar” and “Unconditionally” when she heads out for “The Prismatic World Tour.” The US leg of the tour will be kicking off on June 22nd in Raleigh, North Carolina and going until October 11th when she finishes in Houston, Texas. Katy Perry is known not just for performing, but for putting on a show and you certainly don’t want to miss her when she brings out acts such as Capital Cities, Kacey Musgraves, and Tegan and Sara.

One Direction- The European pop band who got their start on the X Factor UK just four years ago have shot up to fame so quickly that they’re hitting the road to sold out stadiums this year, and the boys will be bringing the “Where We Are Tour” to North America starting August 1st in Toronto, Canada and will officially hit the US on August 4th in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The band is bringing along friends, 5 Seconds of Summer, a rising pop rock band from Australia. The two bands toured together last year selling out amphitheatres and arenas all over the globe and are back this year with an edgier, more mature performance. These boys are at the peak of their fame so you certainly don’t want to miss show!

OneRepublic- Pop rock band, OneRepublic are hitting the road at the end of May for “The Native Tour.” They’re bringing along the Irish pop rock band, The Script and together they’re hitting the roads to play in amphitheatres across North America. In the past year, OneRepublic have been heard multiple times on radio stations all over with their catchy single, “Counting Stars” and this summer you can see the two talented bands as they team up for what will be a fun summer show! 

Samantha Wieder is a senior at Binghamton University. She's majoring in English Rhetoric and minoring in Cinema. Heavily involved in campus, she's proud to be part of BTV, Binghamton's student run television station, as production manager on e-board. She's also a member of the Marketing Association, staff writer for Pipe Dream Release, and a sister of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. During the summer of 2014, she was an Editorial Intern at Long Island Pulse Magazine in Patchogue, NY and during the summer of 2015, she was a Marketing and Communications Intern at Hazon, a Jewish non-profit in the Financial District. She looks forward to interning at FOX 40 in Binghamton during the spring 2016 semester and to begin a career in New York City for post-grad life. She looks forward to another incredible year of writing for Her Campus!
Binghamton Contributor