Campus Celebrity Study Abroad Edition: Karly Weinreb

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Thinking about studying abroad for a semester while at Binghamton? This week’s campus celebrity, Karly Weinreb is back at Binghamton this fall after spending the spring 2014 semester in Jerusalem, Israel studying at Hebrew University. Students who spend a semester abroad come back to campus the following semester with new cultural experiences that only spending five months in another country can provide them with. Here is what Karly had to say about her experience abroad last semester and her advice for anyone considering going abroad as well.

What year are you?

Senior

What is your major?

Psychology and Judaic Studies

When did you study abroad?

Last semester

Where did you study abroad?

Jerusalem

Why did you pick to study abroad in Jerusalem?

I picked Jeruslaem because I wanted to experience Israel like an Israeli and not just on a program or a vacation. Also my parents both have spent large chunks of time there and have always taught me the importance of connecting to my religion and the big role that Israel plays in that.

What are the similarities and differences you experienced in studying abroad as opposed to staying in Binghamton?

It’s similar because I’ve always been lucky enough to take classes that I’ve been interested in so that was nice! It was very very different because while abroad, everyday had the potential to be an adventure. While that can be true in Binghamton, it’s definitely not as easy and it’s hard not to become jaded by the routine you fall into at school. Also in every cliche and mushy way, it really does change your life. I learned so many things about myself that I didn’t even know about myself. It’s like when you take a new exercise class and you’re sore in muscles that you didn’t even know were there.

What’s your favorite study abroad memory?

My favorite study abroad memory is going to be this random farm in the middle of nowhere where I stayed with a program called Thrive that I did, and there was something so special about the atmosphere of the farm. It was like another world and I can’t quite articulate why but it was like nothing could bother you and everything was sacred. Kind of like the planet of Pandora from Avatar! I know I just sound crazier trying to explain it but it was pretty amazing and I held a baby goat who was just precious. 

What’s the most important thing you learned from studying abroad for a semester?

The most important thing I learned from studying abroad was that in the grand scheme of things, almost nothing matters. You have all the mental power to decide what matters to you- what you should shake off and what you shouldn’t. If you decide that everything is a big deal, then everything will be a big deal, and if you just decide to literally laugh everything off because the stupid everyday everyday decisions we have to make in life really don’t matter in the grand scheme of life, you will be a much happier person. I never really realized how in control of my own mind I was until I left my comfortable surroundings and had to decide things on my own without the very many safety blankets I have developed over my years at Binghamton. 

For anyone thinking of or planning on going abroad, what advice do you have?

My advice is just to do it. I know there are so many reasons not to, and every time I heard somebody who went abroad say “it changed my life” or “I’m a different person blah blah blah” I used to roll my eyes, and now I’m the one saying it, so I hope that says something. If you can’t do it, travel or do something else that will put your world into perspective.

Samantha Wieder is a senior at Binghamton University. She's majoring in English Rhetoric and minoring in Cinema. Heavily involved in campus, she's proud to be part of BTV, Binghamton's student run television station, as production manager on e-board. She's also a member of the Marketing Association, staff writer for Pipe Dream Release, and a sister of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. During the summer of 2014, she was an Editorial Intern at Long Island Pulse Magazine in Patchogue, NY and during the summer of 2015, she was a Marketing and Communications Intern at Hazon, a Jewish non-profit in the Financial District. She looks forward to interning at FOX 40 in Binghamton during the spring 2016 semester and to begin a career in New York City for post-grad life. She looks forward to another incredible year of writing for Her Campus!
Binghamton Contributor