Campus Celeb: Kenyon Merriwether

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Kenyon Merriwether, sophomore majoring in Neuroscience and planning on going pre-med may seem like your average Binghamton University student, but she is much more than what meets the eye. When you hear the last name you may think it sounds familiar. You may think to yourself, I took a class one time freshman year with Ann Merriwether, or I take an upper level Anthropology class with David Merriwether, is there a relation? Yes there is! Kenyon is the daughter of both Professor Merriwethers. She has celeb status across Binghamton’s campus for being the daughter of very popular professors as well as being a varsity athlete on the track team.

1.     Where are you from originally?

I was born in Pittsburgh and moved to Michigan and lived there for 8 years. When I was ten my family moved to Vestal.

2.     What’s your favorite thing about living in Binghamton and going to Binghamton University?

I think living in Binghamton is very pretty and I like how going to Binghamton I am so close to home.

3.     What is it like to have both of your parents as professors on campus?

It’s both convenient that they work here and I that they are always there when I need them, but I feel like I’m not as independent and can’t live my own life separate from my friends. I’m Merriwether’s daughter, not Kenyon.

4.     Do students ever come up to you and ask you about your parents?

All the time; they always ask me “Can you get your mom to get me an A?” Other students always think that I have an extra advantage because my parents are professors and will help me but they are not the kind to do that. They wouldn’t put me at an unfair advantage over another student.

5.     What events do you compete in on the track team?

I do all the throwing events. My favorite thing about being on the track team is because it’s like having a second family. It’s nice because I have a good network of people behind me.

6.     What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time, are you really just like any other student?

I love going home and riding horses in my spare time and spend time with my family. I really am just a normal teenager.

7.     What do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be a psychiatrist because I am very interested in mental disorders and helping others and hear people’s stories.

8.     Do you have any fun facts about yourself?

I am a huge Steelers fan, I play bass, I live on a farm, and my family raises alpacas. 

Melissa is a sophomore at Binghamton University. She is from Scarsdale, NY. She getting a dual degree in English Rhetoric and Human Development. She loves fashion, writing, and social media. Since joining the Her Campus she has interned at two magazines, CollegeFashionista.com and Paper Magazine in NYC. She currently is the Vice President of the sorority Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. She is looking forward to making the next step in her HC journey from Staff Writer to Campus Correspondent.
Binghamton Contributor