Style > Beauty

Binghamton Beauty Blog: Moisturizing Lip Scrub!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

It’s already mid-March and there’s still no signs of spring in sight. We recently recommended carrying around a lip balm at all times to prevent chapped, flaky lips. Sometimes even the best of lip balms just can’t handle severely dry lips (courtesy of Binghamton’s 22 mph winds). HerCampus Binghamton presents an easy DIY lip scrub so easy and sweet you’ll find it hard to stop yourself (or that boy you exchanged numbers with on parade day) from licking your lips.

All ingredients can be found at our friendly local 24hour Wal-Mart. Buy the essentials and share the smooth pout love with friends ‘cause a little goes a long way. 

What You’ll Need:

• Brown Sugar (you can use white sugar, but brown sugar is more abrasive)
  • Honey
  • Vaseline (optional)
  • Vitamin E gel capsules (optional)
  • Small bowl/container 

How To:

• Mix 1 teaspoon of brown sugar with 1 teaspoon of honey.
  • If you want a more moisturizing scrub and don’t mind the taste of vaseline (not that you should be eating this scrub) you can substitute the 1 teaspoon of honey for ½ teaspoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of vaseline.
  • Apply scrub onto dry lips and exfoliate in circular motion to slough off dead skin.
  • Remove with a damp wash cloth/tissue or wash off with warm water.
  • Apply lip balm of choice to lock in moisture. 

Customize:

• If you feel that you need a more abrasive/coarse scrub, add more sugar.
  • Honey helps retain moisture and is packed with antioxidants. 
  • Vaseline provides moisture to the scrub, you can change the amount according to your needs.
  • Pop a Vitamin E gel capsule with a toothpick and mix the contents into your scrub to add some anti-aging punch.

* Photo Courtesy of Google Images

Lauren Howley is a junior at Binghamton University pursuing a double degreen in English/rhetoric and Marketing. Originally from Staten Island, New York, Lauren thinks that New York City is the most beautiful place in the world and hopes to one day live and work there. She was a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section of the Binghamton PipeDream, where she spent her time writing about fashion and college life. Last summer, she spent her time researching honeymoon destinations and blogging about bridal trends as an intern for The Knot Weddings Magazine in New York City. In her spare time, Lauren enjoys laughing, hanging out with her friends, blasting music while she drives, applying movie quotes every situation possible, and drinking coffee like its her job. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career in lifestyle journalism or entrepreneurship.