Award Show Season: The Ranking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

I just love the five seasons: spring, summer, fall, winter, and award show season. Okay, so award show season isn’t a ‘real’ season, but in my honest opinion it should be. I’m sure anyone who’s an award show fanatic like myself can relate to the excitement that comes with anticipating which stars will win big each year and which moments at these shows will turn out to be iconic moments years from now. So, as embark on the next few weeks of what I believe to be the most magical time of year, here is my ultimate ranking of award shows. 

1. The Grammy’s

This award show is a music lover’s dream. As someone who’s an avid concertgoer, a pop culture fan, and always listening to music. this award show is a great way to cultivate who really made a mark on the music world in the past year and who to keep looking out for in the year ahead. This year’s show is going to be hosted by LL Cool J (again..) but will definitely be exciting when Taylor Swift opens the show and other artists such as Justin Bieber perform the hits that topped the charts these past few months. Tune into the 3 1/2 hour show on CBS on Monday February 15th at 8 pm est. 

2. iHeart Radio Music Awards

This new award show will be entering it’s third year when it airs on Sunday April 3rd on TBS, TNT, and TruTV. This award show presented by iHeart Media is a music award show that awards those artists who have topped the Top 40 charts this past year. Last year’s show saw Taylor Swift and Madonna performing together if that gives you an incentive to be excited for this year’s show. 

3. Oscar’s 

Also known as the Academy Awards, the 88th annual award show honoring the year’s best films will be aired on Sunday February 28th. If you’ve been plugged into the news in the past few weeks, then you probably have heard about how The Academy is under some scrutiny over the fact that no African American nominees are featured in the lineup and people like Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith are boycotting the show for that particular reason. The issue should make for a pretty interesting monologue from host, Chris Rock. Tune in to see what happens!

Samantha Wieder is a senior at Binghamton University. She's majoring in English Rhetoric and minoring in Cinema. Heavily involved in campus, she's proud to be part of BTV, Binghamton's student run television station, as production manager on e-board. She's also a member of the Marketing Association, staff writer for Pipe Dream Release, and a sister of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. During the summer of 2014, she was an Editorial Intern at Long Island Pulse Magazine in Patchogue, NY and during the summer of 2015, she was a Marketing and Communications Intern at Hazon, a Jewish non-profit in the Financial District. She looks forward to interning at FOX 40 in Binghamton during the spring 2016 semester and to begin a career in New York City for post-grad life. She looks forward to another incredible year of writing for Her Campus!
Binghamton Contributor