5 Reasons We’re Thrilled It’s Almost Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

This past week, spring started to make it’s first little appearance. With Sunday kicking off the beginning of what will be days with more sun and less snow, Binghamton students are excited to leave their winter coats and snow boots behind and welcome in a warmer season. Here are five reasons why we’re thrilled that spring is right around the corner:

1. Spring Fling

Spring Fling at Binghamton University is a pretty huge deal. On the first Saturday of every May, Binghamton students flock to the center of campus to hang out with friends, partake in all sorts of carnival-related activities, eat yummy food, and enjoy the free concert that the SA works very hard to put togehter. It’s one of the most amazing days of the year because it’s one of the last days before finals begins where students can just enjoy a fun-filled day with their friends and get excited that warm summer days are only a few weeks away. 

2. The Sun Stays Out Later

It’s much more enjoyable to walk to night-time classes when the sun is still out! It’s even better walking out of night-time classes and the sun hasn’t quite set yet either. With the sun staying out later now, students are beginning to spend more time with their friends outside. Walking to the dining hall for dinner when it’s sunny outside means getting to see students enjoying the warmer weather and the brighter skies outside and overall everyone just gets happier when it gets darker later.

3. Spring Break

While Binghamton’s spring break falls about 3-4 weeks later than most other schools, we are pretty lucky that when we do get to go home for spring break, we’ll get to actually enjoy some spring weather. Speaking of spring break, everyone is looking forward to an entire week off from school and getting to spend time doing other things such as catching up with friends and family, going on vacations, and enjoying holidays like Passover and Easter. 

4. Warmer Weather

Don’t put away your jacket just yet. In fact, as I write this, there’s snow falling outside my window right now. However, in the past week, we’ve been lucky enough to see warmer weather and a lot more sun. However, get ready to ditch the winter coat soon for a jacket that’s a little lighter. Get ready to retire the snow boots for lighter and more comfortable shoes. The warmer weather is almost here and we are so excited.

5. Summer 

While it’s technically still winter for another week, spring is almost here, and while summer doesn’t actually begin until June, we’re just about halfway done with the semester, which means that we’re really only a couple of weeks away from summer vacation. Come late May, the weather will be much warmer, we’ll be done with schoolwork until August, and we’ll have three amazing months to enjoy our time off, new summer jobs and internships, and making new summer memories.

Hang in there Binghamton- spring is right around the corner- you don’t need the groundhog’s approval for that. 

Samantha Wieder is a senior at Binghamton University. She's majoring in English Rhetoric and minoring in Cinema. Heavily involved in campus, she's proud to be part of BTV, Binghamton's student run television station, as production manager on e-board. She's also a member of the Marketing Association, staff writer for Pipe Dream Release, and a sister of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. During the summer of 2014, she was an Editorial Intern at Long Island Pulse Magazine in Patchogue, NY and during the summer of 2015, she was a Marketing and Communications Intern at Hazon, a Jewish non-profit in the Financial District. She looks forward to interning at FOX 40 in Binghamton during the spring 2016 semester and to begin a career in New York City for post-grad life. She looks forward to another incredible year of writing for Her Campus!
Binghamton Contributor