Yik Yak is Taking Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Collegiettes throughout America have been hopping onto the popular-app trend for as long as their phones have been smart. Remember Lulu, where we secretly rated boys on their hygiene habits, good looks and romance skills? There’s the ever-popular “dating” app, tinder, then the going-out app WiGo… but now there’s a new player to the game, Yik Yak. At first glance it may look like just a list of irreverent tweets, but after exploring the app you’ll realize that Yik Yak has its deep moments.

Yik Yak is based on your location but lets you peek into whichever college campus you’d like. All posts are anonymous, which makes Yakking so alluring. So if you want to read a snide comment about Seasons, or a jab at the ever-so unpopular ratio, then check out Bentley’s yaks. Bentley students find comfort in the anonymous atmosphere that Yik Yak brings; and while bullying and harassment are a strict no-no, students usually find a way to get their innermost thoughts and feelings out. Users have the option to “up-vote” or “down-vote” others yaks, skyrocketing some yaks to temporary fame, and others to their death.

Who knows how long this app will last. Is Yik Yak’s nameless tweeting the new face of social media? Or is the next new thing right around the corner?

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.