What To Do Your First Month At Bentley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

You’re finally at college and just starting to settle into this new part of your life. It will be different and more challenging than anything else you’ve ever done, but if you go about it the right way, college really can be the best four years of your life. To get you off to a great start, here are all the things you need to do during your first month at Bentley.

1. Attend the activities fair and sign up for at least one club– It’s not dorky to sign up for a club or to get involved. In fact, it’s encouraged. Not only does it give you something to do besides hang around your dorm watching Law and Order re-runs, but you can meet tons of people and really get involved in your new school.
  1. Go to a sports event– While Bentley sports may not be as big as those at D1 schools, it’s still really fun to go to with friends and cheer on our athletes. Also, they’re always giving out free stuff, so these are a great place to stock up on your Bentley gear early.
  1. Go to your professors’ office hours– This can be really intimidating for some students, but I guarantee that by going to your professor’s office hours, you will get to know them much better. On the other hand, they will also get to know you so you’re not just another freshman in the crowd. You’re going to need advice at some point in college- why not start now?
  1. Introduce yourself to new people every day– It can be really hard to go from a high school where you grew up with everyone to a school where you barely know anyone. That doesn’t mean you should isolate yourself to the first handful of people you meet. Everyone is nervous and wants to make friends- be the person who makes the first move!
  1. Go to all your classes– Now that you are on your own, it can be really tempting to skip class. After all, there’s no one to yell at you anymore and, depending on your professor, they may not even notice or care. However, this will only hurt you in the long run, for when midterms and finals come up and you are stuck struggling to catch up. Your first semester grades can either start you out on a good note or bad note for your entire college GPA. Make sure it’s a good note!
  1. Take a trip and explore– It’s great to get to know Bentley, but don’t forget we’re also next to one of the best college towns in the entire country. Be sure to hop on the shuttle and explore Boston and all it has to offer. For more info about what to see in Boston check out this article.
  1. Make time for your family– Remember that this is a hard time for your parents as well. They are also struggling to adjust to not being able to constantly know that you are okay, especially if you’re their first child to go to college. Make sure to schedule time to either Skype or call them to let them know how everything is going.
  1. Relax and have fun– Freshman year is going to be scary and awkward for everyone from time to time. The important thing to remember is to relax and enjoy your time here. It will definitely fly by too quickly. 

Photo Credits:

http://d2om8tvz4lgco4.cloudfro…

http://www.airportcommuter.com…

http://www.schoolguides.com/co…

Jessica is a senior at Bentley University majoring in Marketing and minoring in Computer Science. She is the co-president and editor-in-chief of the Her Campus Bentley branch and loves anything and everything Her Campus! In her spare time she enjoys reading and writing about pretty much everything.
Olivia is a senior at Bentley University studying Information Design and Corporate Communication. On campus, she is an Admission Fellow and Peer Facilitator for Bentley’s First Year Seminar program, as well as Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Bentley. In her spare time, Olivia enjoys reading, writing, spending time with family and friends, traveling, and going to Disney World (she’s obsessed).