We Tried a Hot Dog from Burger King

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Recently Burger King debuted a new menu item: the hot dog. Burger King touts their dogs to be “freshly flame grilled” with 100% beef, topped with either classic toppings (ketchup, mustard, onions, and relish) or with chili and cheese. Now the question is, will you try it? You can decide after you read what your very own Bentley Her Campus foodies have to say after trying it.

“Hey Nicole, which Burger King hot dog should we try?”

“Molly, I think I’m feeling the original dog today, chili might make me unnecessarily gassy.”

“Coolio, I’m going through the drive thru now, I’ll be home soon with dinner!”

“WAIT! Are the dogs beef?”

“Yes, 100%!” (We both don’t eat pork).

Shout out to the Burger King on Lexington Street (in Waltham) for their great drive thru service– the woman at the drive thru called me sweetie and really made me feel special.

THE BAG (We also got fries… shhh)

THE INTERIOR BAG

THE DOG (at all angles)

The following scores are based on a 1-10 scale: 1 being gas station lobster and 10 being Top of the Hub steak.

Appearance:

Nicole: This hot dog looked cheap, it looked like it would give me diarrhea. But I tried it anyways. The color was too red for me, I wondered what could make the meat so red… The toppings were also a turn off, I’m not a big relish girl (I hate pickles), so that and the onions turned me off. But Molly made me eat my half in its entirety anyways.

I give it a 6

Molly: I didn’t think the dog was too red. The look of the toppings didn’t appeal to me, they looked overly soggy and just laid on the dog and didn’t do anything for the meat.

I give it a 5

Taste:

Nicole: It tasted like a hot dog. I finished my half, which was a good sign. Even though I didn’t like the toppings, they really worked all together… and I kind of liked it.

I give it an 8

Molly: I didn’t mind it, but I did feel like Burger King really tried to infuse their dog with a smoky flavor – it was a little bit forced. I go through these stages of liking hot dogs and not liking hot dogs, but I’m at a liking stage right now, so it was good. Tasted like an all-beef hot dog, which I appreciate.

I give it an 8

Texture:

Nicole: The bun was toasty enough, I have nothing bad to say about the bun. The hot dog tasted like a hot dog (I guess I didn’t have high expectations).

I give it a 7

Molly: All textures were on point, even the mushy looking toppings.

I give it an 8

Bang for Buck:

Molly: This dog is worth $1.99, if it was any cheaper I wouldn’t buy it… but if it was more expensive, then maybe my mind would trick me into thinking it was better tasting.

I give it a 9

Nicole: I would pay $1.99 for the hot dog I ate. I wouldn’t pay $2.29 for the chili dog, that’s way too expensive.

I give it a 9

Repurchase?

Nicole: Yes, if I was drunk.

I give it a 6

Molly: Honestly, probably not going back to Burger King for another 5 years. It was good, but I’m not going out of my way for it. If I want a hot dog, I’ll have someone snatch me one from seasies.

I give it a 3

FINAL SCORES:

Nicole: 36 out of 50

Molly: 33 out of 50

We conclude that you should try the dog, because it really wasn’t half bad.

Should we be calling Burger King, Hot Dog King from now on?

Photo Sources:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gkYad1oyDDg/maxresdefault.jpg

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter. 
Hi! I'm Nicole, the social media chair for Her Campus Bentley! I'm a senior and love writing gif articles :)