UNICEF’s Tap Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Everywhere you look, whether it’s around your class, your common, room, or the dining hall, they are always there. They never leave our side and if they do, it turns into immediate widespread panic. What am I talking about? Smartphones! We have become so dependent on them that UNICEF has cleverly created an app to help us break the habit and simultaneously save the world!

UNICEF has launched a new app that challenges smart phone owners to not use their phones for 10 minutes. For every 10 minutes you don’t touch your phone, UNICEF donates one full day of clean water to children in need. Giorgio Armani Fragrances has also teamed up with UNICEF as a national sponsor that has agreed to donate $5.00 for every fragrance sold in the U.S. They are also funding the water supplied to the children who are benefiting from you not touching your smart phone.

Water is essential for life and something we often take for granted in the United States and other first world countries. There are places in the world where turning on a faucet isn’t an option for getting water. Millions go every day without clean water and we can do something easy to help. This app is free to download and easy to use. It tests your ability to live without your phone and gives back to a worthy cause.

Bentley University