The Super Bowl Isn’t Just About Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

For all of you dedicated football fans out there, the idea that the Super Bowl isn’t just about football probably seems absolutely ludicrous. Amidst all the talk about over-unders, field goals, and who the best quarterback is, you sometimes forget that there are people who actually watch the Super Bowl for other reasons—such as the commercials. “But how can you not like football?” you might ask. Well, I would say it’s not exactly that I don’t like it, so much as it is that I don’t really understand the hype about it—nor do I have a vested interest in the outcome of the game. But while I may not care about what’s happening on the field, I still look forward to the Super Bowl every year—which is why I’ve compiled a list of some of the reasons for which non-football fans (like me) can appreciate the Super Bowl, other than the football.

The commercials. Obviously.

I feel like this one kind of goes without saying. Whether it’s a Dorito’s commercial featuring a flying pig or a Budweiser commercial with all of those animals that are so cute they make you want to go out and buy a zoo, the commercials are (arguably) the best part of the Super Bowl.

The food.

Let’s be honest, the food at Super Bowl parties is amazing. Those of us who don’t enjoy watching the actual football portion can spend most of the game stuffing our faces, while everyone else sits huddled around the TV instead.

Spending time with friends.

Okay, so maybe you’re not talking to your friends because they’re so engrossed in the game, but it’s still some quality time to spend with them, right?

The half-time show.

It’s the one time during the Super Bowl when non-football fans actually pay attention to what’s happening at the stadium. The half-time show offers great entertainment for everyone. This year we have Justin Timberlake to look forward to. I just wish they’d pick a country singer already…

What else do we have to do on a Sunday?

Since everyone is watching the game…we might as well too. It’s a great, relaxing way to spend a Sunday. Besides, sometimes we are genuinely curious as to why everyone else is so fascinated with football (I’m still trying to figure that one out).

In conclusion, while we might not enjoy watching the football itself, non-football fans have many reasons to look forward to the Super Bowl—so please don’t laugh at us when we ask, “Who just scored?”

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

I am a senior at Bentley University with a major in marketing. I plan to go to law school after finishing my undergrad.
Native New Yorker Brooke Camarda has had her eclectic share of jobs—from the runways of NYFW to the haunted hallways of NYZ Apocalypse. Commonly known by her alter ego of Wonder Woman, there's no task or adventure that the skydiving-enthusiast isn't willing to take on. She loves typography and cappuccinos almost as much as she loves her (very) big family, and is thrilled to be writing for Bentley University's chapter of Her Campus.