woman taking pictures near handrail
woman taking pictures near handrail
Tamara Bellis/Unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Struggles of Being a College Girl: Snapchat Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

This is a new series about my experiences and some tips and advice that I have. What I’ll be talking about are things that I believe a lot of women—like me—do, but are too scared to admit. That’s why I wanted to write a series to let everyone know that we all think about these things, and it’s totally fine. This is all based on my personal experiences, and no two situations will play out the same way. This series is for advice and is just about having fun. All material discussed reflects my own opinion, with which not everyone has to agree.

Did you just get a Snapchat from your crush? And now you’re freaking out about how to respond? Luckily, I’ve assembled a list of steps that will make responding easier.

Part 1: Staging the Perfect Snap

As we know with modern day technology, people can practically communicate at any time through various forms. Snapchat is something millennials today use frequently to keep up with friends and, for our purposes, flirt. 

The new Snapchat update is ratchet (trying to bring this back)—we are all aware of that. However, we all cannot sacrifice our Snapchat streaks for the update. Ever have your crush Snap you and don’t know how to respond? Do you send a selfie? Make a funny face, or try to look cute? It’s always hard to know what that special someone is thinking and how they will interpret your Snap. You always want to look good, but sometimes it’s hard to know how to. So here is a guide on how to stage the perfect Snap that looks Insta-worthy for that special person.

Step 1: Front or back facing camera?

Everyone wants to show off their beautiful face, but some days you just aren’t feeling yourself. It is okay to stage something with your back facing camera. If you know your crush likes a certain sports team, you could send a Snap of the game. (If you choose to do this, make sure you have some knowledge about the sport, though—because you don’t want to be asked a question that you don’t know!) You could also do the same for television shows and movies. It is completely okay to not send a selfie, and this is the perfect option to keep that Snapchat streak going. However, make sure to switch it up from time to time so he’s always waiting for your Snap.

Another thing to consider is whether or not they sent a selfie. If they send a selfie, it is common courtesy to send one back to them. You don’t want to seem like you are avoiding showing them your face (even if you really are). 

Step 2: It’s all about the lighting.

Lighting can make or break the Snap. If the lighting in your room isn’t up to par, then try your suitemate’s room or even the living room. Don’t be afraid to grab a light or ask a friend for help. Trust me—they will understand (okay, maybe not all, but at least mine understood). You’d be surprised how into it your BFFs may get, and it can honestly feel like a photoshoot.

Step 3: Make your signature face (if taking a selfie)

This step will come with time. Over the course of your Snapchat career, you will be able to test out all of your faces and see which one works best. Unfortunately, this will is one of the toughest steps when first starting a Snap streak. It’s important to feel out your crush’s Snapchat personality, which will help you determine what  your go-to Snap face is. Try doing a slight smile or smirk. If your boo makes a funny face it’s okay to respond with a funny one too! Once your signature Snap face is set, this step is pretty easy!

Step 4: Filter or no filter?

This step is always hard to decide. Sometimes certain filters make it look like you are trying too hard, while others just help add a little something extra to your Snap. When choosing filters, just keep in mind that you never want something that overdoes it. Make sure to look at all options and find one that brings out the best in the pic. Feel free to ask for your BFF’s opinion and even enlist them to choose one. 

Step 5: Can’t forget the stickers

What’s really cool about Snapchat is that you can include stickers. Whether you want to emphasize a particular mood or want to use your Bitmoji, stickers can add a really cute and fun touch. But remember: too much of a good thing is sometimes a bad thing—so stick to only one sticker if you choose to use one at all. It’s always cool to not have one if you’re really feeling the pic and want it to speak for itself. 

Now it’s time to send the Snap. Congratulations—you did it!

Part 2 about responding to a crush’s Snap is forthcoming—so stay tuned for more!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

Hi! I'm a sophomore at Bentley and majoring in IDCC with a minor in Gender Studies. I love dogs and chocolate.
Native New Yorker Brooke Camarda has had her eclectic share of jobs—from the runways of NYFW to the haunted hallways of NYZ Apocalypse. Commonly known by her alter ego of Wonder Woman, there's no task or adventure that the skydiving-enthusiast isn't willing to take on. She loves typography and cappuccinos almost as much as she loves her (very) big family, and is thrilled to be writing for Bentley University's chapter of Her Campus.