Many incoming students often ask the question: Why should I choose Bentley University?
Well the thing is, we all know we should respond with the fact that we are nationally ranked in business, our job placement is practically unparalleled, the campus is beautiful, but in reality all we want to do is say: WE.HAVE.SPRING.DAY.
Easily proclaimed the most fun day of the year, the reason why people DON’T study abroad in the spring, and the excuse for “training” all year-round, Spring Day brings Bentley together every April with its awesome contests, activities, t-shirts, food, and most importantly the concert.
After one Spring Day concert concludes, students are already amassed with thoughts and predictions about who will be the following year’s entertainment. We hear names from a variety of genres and are both suspicious and excited about the upcoming possibilities about which big name artist is going to grace us with their presence next. Previous years have included Third Eye Blind, Jay Sean & Ludacris, Far East Movement & Lupe Fiasco, and this year the announcement has finally been made (hence the artwork and song lyrics chalked all over campus): Nelly and The White Panda!
If you love Nelly as much as I do then you probably know a plethora about him. But if not, here’s a bit of a reminder:
- His first album Country Grammar debuted in 2000 and boasted classic hits such as its title track, and “Ride wit Me” which pushed the album to go platinum.
- His second album entitled Nellyville topped the Billboard Music charts and gave us the anthems of “Dilemma”, “Air Force Ones” and “Hot in Herre”. (And yes, since the Dana Center is usually a sweat factory during the concert, we should probably prepare for flying garments and awkward displays of dancing during this particular song.)
- In 2004 he released double albums called Sweat and Suit.
- His duet with Tim McGraw called “Over and Over” became a crossover hit and who could forget the epically famous “Grillz”.
- He also released Brass Knuckles in 2008 and most recently 5.0 in 2010.
- The album’s lead single “Just a Dream” could be heard without fail on just about every radio station, and peaked on the itunes charts at number 3.
- And who could forget his acting appearance in The Longest Yard alongside Adam Sandler?
Ladies and gentlemen, the man is truly a beacon of talent.
Opening for Nelly this year will be The White Panda:
- They are a remix/mash-up duo consisting of Tom Evans and Dan Griffith based out of Chicago.
- They were formed in 2009 although they have been composing and producing music together on and off for 7 years.
- Most of The White Panda’s live sets are hosted by colleges although they can be caught at the occasional bar as well.
- The duo released their debut album, entitled “Versus”, on December 28, 2009, “Rematch,” on July 2nd, 2010, and just released their latest album “Bambooyah!”
- If you are a fan of mash-ups, remixes, partying, dancing, jumping up and down, or practically anything revolving around FUN, then The White Panda are for you.
So there you have it! Bentley’s 2012 Spring Day presents Nelly and The White Panda! As the date approaches get those Air Force One’s, jerseys and white eye band-aids ready. Roll up a pant-leg, put on a bandana, do whatever it takes because the stage is about to be blown. We can only dream that Nelly would bring his girl power partners, Kelly Rowland and Ashanti, but let’s be real, hide ya kids, hide ya wife, because the dude himself is coming to town and that’s good enough for most of us.
In case you are a little behind on your knowledge of either rap/R&B or dance music (or if you just didn’t think you were ghetto fabulous back in the day) here are some hits that will get you in the mood:
- Country Grammar
- Shake Ya Tailfeather
- Hot in Herre
- Ride wit Me
- Over and Over (feat. Tim McGraw)
- Tilt Ya Head Back (feat. Christina Aguilera)
- Air Force Ones
- Party People (feat. Fergie)
- Dilemma (feat. Kelly Rowland)
- Just a Dream
- Pimp Juice
- My Place (feat. Jaheim)
The White Panda
- Fireflies Goin Down (Owl City & Yung Joc)
- Throw Some Tik Tok on That (Ke$ha & Rich Boy)
- What You Know About Little Secrets (T.I. & Passion Pit)
- Touch 3 Skies (Kanye West & Britney Spears)
- We Made Ghosts N Stuff (Eminem & Deadmau5)
- Hot N Cold Rain (Katy Perry and Fat Joe)
- Bittersweet Donald
We'll see you there, collegiettes!
- http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=1920&bih=899&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=pvO4irUgEFy6BM:&imgrefurl=http://www.dosomething.org/blog/celebsgonegood/nelly-university&docid=ueRF42_MZdz3FM&imgurl=http://www.dosomething.org/files/nelly.jpg&w=400&h=317&ei=3DxeT5yKM-f10gG6zI2iBg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=276&sig=117628456638688614202&page=1&tbnh=103&tbnw=127&start=0&ndsp=65&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=79&ty=68(Nelly image)
- http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1920&bih=899&tbm=isch&tbnid=6ygc5J3U0ae6vM:&imgrefurl=http://cornellinsider.com/2011/07/25/the-white-panda-is-coming-to-cornell/&docid=qJZZe9eVV3BwCM&imgurl=http://cornellreview.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/the-white-panda3.jpg&w=960&h=634&ei=ID1eT_GVB4Tc0QHowfiVDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=163&vpy=148&dur=95&hovh=182&hovw=276&tx=139&ty=87&sig=117628456638688614202&page=1&tbnh=124&tbnw=165&start=0&ndsp=51&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0(The White Panda image)