samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#RealTalk: What We Wish We Knew as Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

The first year of college will undoubtedly leave you swarmed with emotions—the daunting nature of living on your own, the excitement of meeting new people, the tenacity to try new things and take on new challenges. Amidst all of the craziness that accompanies packing, moving in, orientation week, and the first day of classes, it can sometimes be challenging to take a step back and reflect upon all of the new experiences that are ensuing. To ease your mind during such an exhilarating transitional time, seven collegiettes offer real advice about what they wish they new as freshmen.

Less is more when it comes to packing for your dorm.

I know it’s tempting, but don’t try to bring your entire closet with you to college! Instead of bringing those outfits that will just sit in your closet all semester, be realistic in packing only the staple items and versatile pieces that you’ll get the most use out of. Packing for college is definitely one of those instances where quality is much more valuable than quantity. 

-Alexis, ‘17

You won’t be BFFs with everyone you meet during first week, and that’s okay!

First week for freshmen is an exciting transitional period when you get your first real taste of what it’s like to live on your own. Because college life is completely new territory, during this time it’s easy to gravitate towards those peers who live in the same building as you, who have the same orientation activities, and who you meet during the unavoidable series of icebreakers. The reality is that you’re going to meet so many people during first week and throughout the course of your entire college career—and with time, you’ll naturally form a group of forever-friends that doesn’t feel so forced. 

-Samantha, ‘20

You can’t trust what you see on social media.

Scrolling through your Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter feeds creates a very falsified image of your friends’ college experiences. The transition from living at home to being on your own for the first time is challenging for everyone—and yes, I do mean everyone. It’s easy to look at the photos that your friends from home are posting and believe that they’re somehow having a better time at college than you are—which is why it’s important to keep in mind that people only post the “good stuff” on social media, and you’re only being exposed to the positive side of their new college lives. It’s totally normal to feel homesick, to have a little trouble finding your go-to friend group, and to feel some nervousness in the midst of your first year of college—and you’re definitely not alone in feeling these ways. Social media can sometimes feel isolating, so oftentimes it helps to sign out, take a deep breath, and gain some perspective by focusing on you, rather than others. 

-Brianna, ‘19

Know how to prioritize tasks and budget your time.

Freshman year of college is the first time when you’re entirely responsible for your own well-being and success. Professors will seldom remind you of when assignments and exams are approaching, and you have to be self-motivated in staying on top of your tasks and organizing your time effectively. I have a whiteboard calendar at eye-level on my desk, and am constantly updating it with new assignments as soon as they arise (trust me, it’s a lifesaver). With that in mind, it’s easy to get overwhelmed when a lot of assignments are due around the same time. It really helps to clear your head, set micro-goals, and take on projects just one at a time. It’s so gratifying to cross a completed task off of your list, and you should feel comfortable rewarding yourself with an episode of your latest binge-watch! 

-Hannah, ‘20

Take time to take care of yourself physically and mentally.

It’s much easier to get sick when you’re in college; living in a communal dorm building with so many shared facilities will inevitably lead to some shared illnesses as well. Stock up on cold medicine, vitamin C tablets, cough drops, tissues, multivitamins, painkillers, tea and honey, and basic first aid supplies for when the dorm-wide cold season strikes—and be sure to drink plenty of water. You’re mental health is just as important as your physical health, so try to determine your personal best way to de-stress during the more demanding times of the semester—whether it be exercising, reading a good book, creating art, talking to family/friends, or any other myriad of ways to collect yourself when tensions run high. Never underestimate the power of a good power nap to feel refreshed and re-energized to conquer any tasks and challenges that come your way!

-Jacquelyn, ‘18

Keep an open mind and put yourself out there!

College is a monumental time of self-exploration and personal development—and that can only be achieved if you’re willing to take risks and try new things. What’s so great about college is that you have the opportunity to meet so many people from such diverse backgrounds, and you’ll find friends in unexpected places. It may seem intimidating at first, but don’t be afraid to reach out to someone in class to study together, sit down with someone new in the dining hall, and pop into the open dorm room door in your building to introduce yourself. Clubs and on-campus orgs are a great way to meet new people with common interests—so join the club that you may have been too intimidated to join in high school, get super involved on campus, and take full advantage of all of the activities and events at college! 

-Emily, ‘19

Enjoy the time you have at college! Being a freshman, it’s hard to imagine—but it flies by!

-Amanda, ‘17

Images via: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Native New Yorker Brooke Camarda has had her eclectic share of jobs—from the runways of NYFW to the haunted hallways of NYZ Apocalypse. Commonly known by her alter ego of Wonder Woman, there's no task or adventure that the skydiving-enthusiast isn't willing to take on. She loves typography and cappuccinos almost as much as she loves her (very) big family, and is thrilled to be writing for Bentley University's chapter of Her Campus.