Preparation for Mockingjay, Part 1: A Recap of Catching Fire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Fans across the country are counting down the hours until Friday, November 21: the day that Mockingjay: Part 1 (the penultimate film in the Hunger Games series) premieres. Although I’m sure many of you have already seen the incredible trailer, I thought it might be useful for fans to be reminded of where the story left off at the ending of the last film, Catching Fire.

Catching Fire Recap:

When we last saw Katniss, she had just blown the Quarter Quell arena’s forcefield to bits with the help of her arrow, some wire, and a bolt of lightning. After losing consciousness, Katniss awakes on a mysterious hovercraft and hears voices. She investigates, only to find Haymitch (her mentor), Plutarch Heavensbee (the Head Gamemaker), and Finnick Odair (a tribute from District 4) all talking together. Heavensbee explains that the three of them— along with half of the other tributes— had been planning on rescuing Katniss from the arena all along. He tells her that this action is the start of a revolution of the Districts of Panem, and that she is the mockingjay that will serve as the symbol of the revolution. He also informs her that the hovercraft is currently on its way to District 13; quite a shock, given that up to this point District 13 was said to have been destroyed years before in Panem’s first rebellion.

Of course, despite all this extremely shocking and important information, the only thing on Katniss’s mind is Peeta. When she asks Haymitch where he is, however, she finds out that the Capitol has captured Peeta and Johanna Mason (a tribute from District 7 who also conspired to get Katniss out). After breaking out in hysterics, Katniss is sedated and falls asleep for several days.

The next time Katniss awakes, she finds Gale by her side (because obviously they couldn’t end the movie without reminding us of that infamous love triangle). Gale is acting very strange, and Katniss knows that something must be wrong. After confirming that Katniss’s mother and her sister, Prim, are alive, Gale goes on to tell Katniss that the Capitol has bombed District 12. He delivers the film’s final line, which leaves a mix of both devastation and determination on Katniss’s tear streaked face as the scene fades to black: “There is no District 12. It’s all gone”  (Catching Fire.)

Whats Next?

Catching Fire surely provided us with many explanations, but also left us with just as many questions. For starters, where exactly is District 13, and how does it still exist? Will Peeta survive, or does President Snow have other plans for him? Where are Katniss’s mother and sister, Prim? Will Katniss finally choose between Peeta and Gale? And, most importantly, will this rebellion be successful?

Theaters and Showtimes:

There are several theaters close by that will be playing Mockingjay: Part 1 starting this Thursday or Friday. You can use sites like fandango.com to search for theaters, find showtimes, and even purchase tickets online (very useful if you’re not familiar with the area).

Enjoy Mockingjay: Part 1, Bentley collegiettes, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

SOURCES: 1/ 2

Bentley University