An Open Letter to the College Student Who Has Lost a Parent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Not everyone has to deal with the pain of losing a parent at such a young age. Whether it was recent or happened years ago, the loss of a parent is an indescribable feeling that only those who have experienced it know what it’s like. That being said, being at college and dealing with these emotions when almost everyone has their parents around is something I would not wish anyone to experience. Here are some ways to cope while away at school, and to realize you are not in this alone.

1.Don’t be afraid to talk to someone.

As cliché as this sounds, it can do wonders. The amount of stress and anxiety and pain that can result from the loss can only increase when the stress of school work and a social life are piled on top. It is no secret that college is stressful but talking out the emotions with someone you can trust is a good place to start when you start to feel upset.

The Counseling Center offers confidential counseling groups to talk about anxiety, loss of a loved one, LGBTQ concerns, multicultural identities, and relationships. Contact 781.891.2274 for more information.

2.It’s okay to cry.

You may think it is not cool, or acceptable to cry especially in front of a roommate you just met a few weeks ago but honestly, you have been through enough and bottling it up is not going to help. There is nothing to be embarrassed about because the grieving process is supposed to help you heal and there is almost no greater loss one can suffer than the loss of a parent.

3.Treat yourself.

I would like to point out that yes, it may be hard to focus on work and that studying is super important but do not forget that letting loose (in moderation) can lead to a healthy mind and body. You may notice times where you can’t focus on anything else but the loss but when this happens try getting out of the room and enjoy yourself.

4.Take a trip home.

This may be easier for some than others, but there is nothing like sleeping in your own bed to ease your mind. Also to recall memories and tell stories about your loved one with family can be very therapeutic.

5.Try to enjoy the experience with another parent or loved one.

When it comes to the big moments in life it may feel wrong to enjoy them without your parent there. From your first move-in day, to Parents weekends, none of it is easy because there is always the thought in the back of your mind that they should be there with you like everyone else’s parents. Don’t let them deter you from enjoying the day with the parent that can be there. Let them be there for you because nothing is worse than sulking all day. It just makes it worse.

Photo Sources:

http://earlytraumagrief.anu.edu.au/files/styles/anu_doublewide_680_220/p…

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.