Once in a Lifetime Opportunity: The Great Barrier Reef

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

For the past three months I have been having the time of my life in Australia. I’ve visited Sydney, the Gold Coast, Brisbane, and most recently one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World; The Great Barrier Reef. It was truly an amazing experience and completely unreal. I could not believe I was swimming and snorkeling at one of the most famous places in the world. There were so many different beautiful underwater marine plant and animal life. The coral was unbelievable to look at. We learned that it has been slowly losing its vibrant color from all the pollution and other human interactions, but it was still one of the most gorgeous sights I have ever seen. The entire time we were snorkeling, which was about a three hour excursion, it just didn’t feel real. Trying to take it all in was completely overwhelming but such an amazing experience. I have been so thankful to have had such an opportunity to spend over three months in one of the most amazing places in the world and wouldn’t trade a thing. It is going to be bittersweet having to leave this place at the end of April, but every second here was spent having a blast and traveling as much as I can. With finals week approaching, I have a lot on my plate to prepare for as well as trying to squeeze as many trips, sights to see, and excursions as I can. The places I have already been lucky enough to visit have been more than anything I could have ever expected, and next on the itinerary; New Zealand!

Bentley University