Mike Goldberg- IDCC Professor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity, Mike Goldberg, is hands down my favorite Professor here at Bentley. He teaches five Information Design and Corporate Communication courses and I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to take three of his fun classes. If you have yet to take an IDCC course – I highly recommend taking one with Goldberg before you graduate!

Her Campus Bentley: Where did you attend college and tell me a little bit about your past experiences working in graphic design.

Mike Goldberg: I attended Boston University for undergraduate and graduate school. My career as a graphic designer has given me the opportunity to work in an amazing industry. I have worked as a video game designer for Parker Brothers where I created graphics and animation for Frogger, Star Wars: Ewok Adventures and the James Bond game. I was the Design Director at WBZ-TV4 in Boston creating broadcast design for on-air graphics and animation. I have designed interactive educational experiences for museums and my work has been exhibited in museums across the country. I have also worked for a wide variety of corporate clients creating print, web, presentation and interactive design projects. I created package design and an advertising campaign for Major League Baseball, web site design for the Joslin Diabetes Center and poster designs for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

HCB: What courses do you teach at Bentley University?

MG: I am a professor for the Information Design and Corporate Communication program. I teach IDCC240 Fundamentals of Visual Communications, IDCC340 Advanced Visual Communications, IDCC370 Web Design 1 Information Design, Principles and Practices, IDCC380 Web Design 2 Information Architecture and Site Management and IDCC390 Environmental Graphic Design

HCB: What is your favorite course to teach and why?

MG: All of my classes are my favorite. Each class challenges my students with different and engaging projects and learning experiences. I enjoy working with my students in each class.

[pagebreak]

HCB: What is your favorite thing about teaching?

MG: I have worked many years in my chosen profession and I enjoy sharing my experience and skills with my students. It’s great when I see how each student’s skill level grows and improves from the start of each semester to the final class. 

HCB: What was the coolest or most fun project or client you have ever worked for?

MG: I have had the opportunity to create interactive educational projects for museums across the country. I worked on the interactive experience projects for the Plimoth Plantation Museum, The Congressional Medal of Honor Museum, The Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, and many others. These types of design projects are very challenging. They integrate brand identity, graphic design, Environmental Graphic Design, museum exhibit design, educational curriculum, and user experience design. These experiences allowed me to apply my graphic design skills to projects that many people would see and enjoy.

HCB: Bentley University as you know is very accounting and finance driven, so what advice would you give a student if they really wanted to pursue a creative side to business like design but were too scared of the risk of job security?

MG: Graphic design gives you a wide variety of interesting work opportunities. Design is an integral part of every type of business and corporate strategy.  Creative design for business including marketing, advertising, public relations, financial investment, medical and entertainment incorporates a combination of print design campaigns, web and user experience design. Design is responsible for creating the corporate brand identity and the necessary methods for communicating the goals and company mission to their intended demographic.

Design teaches and combines many important skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, and visual communication that are used in all forms of business.

Emmy is currently a junior at Bentley University majoring in Computer Information Systems and minoring in Information Design and Corporate Communications. Besides being a writer for Her Campus, she's also a part of the Business Fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi. She's a fan of traveling, playing tennis, and eating good food!
Bentley University