Lauren Salmo, Health and Alcohol Educator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Get to know our latest Campus Celebrity Lauren Salmo, a great new addition to Bentley’s Center for Health & Wellness. Ms. Salmo is an excellent resource for students to reach out to in regards to any personal problems. She’s a great listener and willing to help anyone that steps into her office.

Her Campus (HC): What is your current position at Bentley and how did you gain your expertise in the health and wellness field?

Lauren Salmo (LS): I am currently the Health & Alcohol Educator at the Center for Health & Wellness. I came to Bentley in September 2012 after finishing my Masters of Public Health (MPH) at Columbia University in New York City. I have a wide range of experience in health education and promotion, ranging from HIV and STI education in the Bronx, to alcohol and substance use peer education as an undergrad, to sexual health advocacy with NARAL Pro-Choice NY, to writing over 150 columns for Go Ask Alice!, an internationally-known health Q&A resource on the internet. While I was thinking about saving the world, I also earned a B.S. in Biological Sciences (with a minor in Community Development) at the University of California at Davis.

HC: How did you become involved in the health education field? Did a specific experience or instance spark this interest?

LS: Believe it or not, public health has been one of my greatest passions since I was around 17 years old. At the time, I knew at least three people infected with HIV, including a dear family friend. To see the ravaging effects of the virus on his body was one of the most moving experiences of my young life. Right then, I knew that I needed to empower individuals to protect themselves. And so, I decided that health education and promotion was the career that I needed to purse.

HC: How can students utilize your knowledge as a Women’s Center advisor?

LS: As a Women’s Center advisor, I hope to inspire students to think more critically about the world around them. I am constantly dreaming up ideas for events, discussions, and campaigns. And of course, I encourage students to talk to me and to ask tons of questions –whether related to health, gender, sexuality, politics, or the like. I am an open book! Particularly related to health, I will answer questions non-judgmentally and with all the sensitivity that I can.

HC: How is working with students so close to your age? Do you find this to be an advantage when giving advice?

LS: I have always enjoyed working with adolescents and young adults, so working at Bentley has been a great experience so far. Being in my 20’s has definitely helped me build rapport with students, particularly in regards to the challenges that come up in college. Students recognize that I was just in their shoes a few years ago. I hope that students can see me, not only as a health expert, but also as a peer and mentor.

HC: Could you give advice to current students about the transition from school to the “real world”?

LS: My biggest advice to students transitioning out of college would be to “do what you love and love what you do.” I am so lucky because I can truly say that I have a career that I am passionate about. I get so much inspiration from the work that I do, which allows me to channel my energy even further. It’s a beautiful cycle.

Bentley University Class of 2016
Bentley University