nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ins and Outs of Bentley’s Career Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Bentley University isn’t ranked #1 in Career Services for nothing. Our great university puts on two career fairs a year, attracting hundreds of employers and drawing in thousands of Bentley Students. This fall semester’s Career Fair is on Wednesday, Sept 28, 2016 from 1:00 to 4:30 p.m. in Dana Athletic Center. We’ve put together this comprehensive guide of do’s, don’ts, tips & tricks for the big day.

But first… should you go?

Freshmen, no one will chastise you for not going; you’ve been at school for just a month, and no one expects you to be on the job hunt so quickly. In fact, many employers are only looking for upperclassmen. At the same time, this shouldn’t discourage you from taking a look around. It’s never too early to start networking.

What can you do now?

“When I looked over the Career Fair app my junior year, I only recognized a handful of companies that registered for the career fair, so going through the list and researching which firms were even relevant to my desired career path was key in navigating the fair that day.” – Shelley

You need to register. Register even if there’s only a slight chance that you’ll make it down to Lower that day.

• On BentleyLink: Make sure your information is up to date on your BentleyLink profile. Go to “My Account” and make sure your graduation date and “year in school” are accurate.
  • Attend a Career Fair Fast Pass Pre-Registration: There’s one on Monday, September 19th from 5:00 to 700 p.m. in the Student Center ice cream will be served and a raffle will take place!

Download the Bentley Career Fair Plus app from the App Store on your phone. The app features a complete list of companies attending the fair, and you’ll have access to real time updates on any changes to the event. If you don’t download the app, you can find the same information on BentleyLink.

Don’t just download the app, go through it to find out which tables you’ll ultimately want to stop at. It’s a good opportunity to do some research on companies that you’ve never heard of or ones that you want to learn more about; maybe your dream company is attending the fair and are hiring!

What do you need?

“When I was a second semester freshman, I didn’t own a suit, so that was my excuse for not going to the Career Fair. But it was also my excuse to be better prepared for my sophomore year.” – Diana

Business Attire

• This means no casual clothing, jeans, sneakers, t-shirts. You want to make a good impression. That being said, the Dana Center always get SO HOT. While everyone shows up in dress pants and a blazer, it’s not uncommon to see your female peers start stripping down to their blouses. Also, dress comfortably. If you’re focused on your wedgie, your attention won’t be where it should be.

Padfolio

• They sell these at the bookstore on campus, around the corner at Staples, or on Amazon.com (easy and cheap for those of you who have Prime). They’re perfect for stashing resumes, business cards you’ll end up collecting, and a pad of paper and pens for easy note taking. 

Resumes

• Have your friends, roommates, professors, or parents check your resume before printing!

• On the days before the Career Fair, the on campus printers will have thicker paper to print your resume on. Do not print your resume on regular printer paper! The amount of copies you need to print depends on how many employer tables you want to stop at (plus a few extra just in case).

Elevator pitch

• You’re trying to sell yourself professionally. Who are you, what do you want, what do you do, and how are you trying to get there are some questions to consider when developing your personal pitch.

What should you remember?

• Master your handshake! Be firm, stay confident. You don’t want to go limp on anyone.

• Show your interest! Look up if a company has any internships available on BentleyLink or their website. If you’re interested in a company, but they don’t have any internships currently available, don’t let that stop you from stopping by their table.

• Don’t be afraid to network! Employers love Bentley students. We’re a special breed, we’re hard working, and employers know they’ll get an exceptional employee out of a Bentley student.

• Take notes on names, numbers, and companies! Stay organized.

What should you do afterwards?

• Follow up with employers who you talked with, and mention keys things you talked about so they have a better chance of remembering you. Inquire about employment opportunities if that’s what you’re looking for.

• Expect calls and/or emails from employers, so keep voicemails and email responses professional.

Photo Sources:

http://careeredge.bentley.edu/blog/2015/09/22/janets-career-fair-tips-an…

http://www.bentley.edu/offices/marketing-communications/bentley-brand

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.