He Said/She Said Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

If you were intrigued by the first He Said/She Said article, check out what Part 2 has in store. I asked small groups of Bentley students the same questions to see how responses from guys differed from girls.

*disclaimer: many opinions may not be represented in these answers.*

We’ve all heard the question “What is your biggest fear?” since way back in grade school.

Although we’ve grown out of the “boys have cooties” phase, we may still turn our noses up at some of their responses to this question. This particular question for the surveyed individuals had no shared responses.

Girls had answers like: bugs, heartbreak, elevators, being alone, and strangers. On the other hand, guys responded with: drowning, heights, car crashes, being murdered, and of course, the macho response, “nothing.”

As much as I hate to admit it, this survey proved to me that the phrase “girly drinks” is completely applicable. When I asked people “What is your favorite alcoholic beverage (if you’re 21, of course…)?”

I received responses from complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

You can find these ladies sipping on their: Mike’s Hard, Not Your Father’s Rootbeer, Barefoot Moscato, Smirnoff ice, flavored vodka or Bacardi, or a sweet sex-on-the-beach for those cocktail occasions. You can usually find girls getting their fix with something a little more creative like Jell-O shots, and I’m not sure I could count the number of times I’ve heard “Let’s. Take. Shots.” On the other hand, guys are bro-ing out with a Landshark Lager, Bud Light, Jack Daniels, or Sam Adams Boston Lager. A few guys responded with “beer” and “beer, beer, and more beer,” so that just about sums it up.

If you’re curious about what the opposite sex is looking for in a partner, you probably could honestly guess the answers. When asked “Name something you look for in a guy/girl…”

…a lot of guys answered with basic personality and physical traits such as: nice, pretty eyes, fun, easygoing, cute face, outgoing, and “can hang” (*cue eye rolls*).  Girls had more unique and creative responses, such as: sensitive, trustworthy, gentleman, chivalrous, and “huggable.”

Some people feel that they have a specific “type” when it comes to physical attraction. While there are many different hair colors (Ryan Lochte’s look at the 2016 Rio Olympics that he described as “silvery-blue” being my new personal favorite), I limited the choices to two and asked…

“If you had to choose, blondes or brunettes?”

Roughly 71% of guys said they prefer blondes, and only 38% of girls chose blonde over brunettes in comparison. The results definitely vary by personal preference. Confidence is much more important than color.

I was hoping to be surprised by the results for this next question, because I think it would be pretty cute if guys said yes. But when I asked “Do you pick out your outfit the night before?”

…only 13% of guys said yes, compared to 75% of girls who said yes. There’s something about the thought of a guy putting thought into what he’ll be wearing tomorrow that would make me feel a little less bitter about how long it takes me to get ready in the morning.

Finally, it was funny to see the different first-date-jitters that guys had compared to girls. When asked “On a first date, you’d be nervous about…”

everyone who responded had super unique, interesting answers. Girls responded with: having food in my teeth, awkward silences, finding an outfit to wear, sweating too much, saying something stupid, and having bad breath. Guys had answers like: making a good first impression, deciding where to take her, not having anything to say, the food sucking at the restaurant I picked, and my personal favorite, “pooping myself.” See, the male brain continues to amaze me. I definitely wouldn’t have thought to be nervous about pooping myself.

Photo Sources

Lochte/He Said She Said/

Swimmer & Nicholas Sparks enthusiast
Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.