david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween: Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

I think we can all admit that sometimes our expectations of events are greater than reality, and Halloween is certainly no exception.

Expectation: You can’t wait for all the fun costume parties you’ll get invited to.

Reality: It’s 24 hours before Halloween and you actually have no plans at all.

Expectation: You’ll go out the night before Halloween, on Halloween, the night after….

Reality: You have class. Every. Single. Day.

Expectation: You wear your costume to class, because everyone does that, right?!

Reality: …No. Nobody does that. You’re the only one.

Expectation: You LOVE carving pumpkins. Your pumpkin’s going to look so freaking good, it could belong in the MOMA.

Reality: You remember that PUMPKIN CARVING IS IMPOSSIBLE. Who’s even good at following those patterns, anyway?!

Expectation: DIY costumes really are the way to go. Yours will actually look great.

Reality: You’ll never live up to that Pinterest picture. Don’t even try.

Expectation: It won’t be that cold out, and besides, you want to look cute!

Reality: You + 20℉ + Mini-Skirt = Human Popsicle.

Expectation: You’re going to come up with a really clever costume, and everyone’s going to think you’re so funny.

Reality: Nobody understands your costume, and you find yourself explaining it so much that you wish you’d just come as a cat or vampire or something equally as boring.

Expectation: That party you got invited to is going to be AWESOME! 

Reality: The party is so lame, you’re seriously considering whether or not you should’ve stayed home and binge-watched the Halloweentown movies.

But in the end, it’s worth it, because after all…..

and we all love it.